Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

I saw these guys buzzing around when these pictures were taken (around two months ago) , I got a picture of them:)

A lot of progress in the past 5 years, the next 5 should be interesting with more towers from Amacon, Pinnacle, Daniels, Greenpark, Sheridan phase 2, new hotel, etc. I hope a major announcement comes forward for the northwest corner of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe as well; the stretch from Burnhamthorpe to Robert Speck can use a major redo. A few more office towers would help. A lot of potential.

Last edited:
Model verison from roughly the same angle...
20110930021.jpg

Drove by the morning and saw the glass on tower 5 started to go on today. They're making good time, it would seem, as they have about 1/3 of the first 7 floors done, starting on 2 sides of the building with all the "low" part of the pattern and start of the waves, with gaps on either side of the building where the "high" part of the wave would be. I'm guessing the "high" fritting takes a lot longer and they've got enough glass on site to begin and then come back to fill in where needed.

Still - based on what has been installed just this morning - it seems like they could knock out 3 or 4 floors a day if all material was ready and waiting. The glass could be done in a couple of weeks.

More pics in the gallery here: http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/MarkoYYZ/Absolute World/

AW5-glass12.jpg

AW5-glass9.jpg

AW5-glass11.jpg

AW5-glass4.jpg

Is the balcony glass supposed to be a different colour then the other tower? The first tower looks blue and this new glass looks green.

It might have been my phone cam and/or the overcast sky, but to me the glass seems quite clear, plus the white decorative elements.

I doubt they used Starphire (optically clear lead-free glass), so it's possible that the tempering process of this leaded glass does give it an ever so minor green tinge - but it's not like the typical or intentionally green glass we see most everywhere else.

Is the balcony glass supposed to be a different colour then the other tower? The first tower looks blue and this new glass looks green.

yeah, they're supposed to be different.

One has the wavy things in the glass, the other has the metallic stripes in the glass.

yeah, they're supposed to be different.

One has the wavy things in the glass, the other has the metallic stripes in the glass.
Can somebody take a close up picture of the balcony glass, so we can contrast the two. I don't see the metallic stripes or the wavy things you're talking about. I'd really like to see how the two types of glass differ.

Look at the first photo posted above, you will actually see one building has wavy balcony glass, and the other has blue balcony glass with grey metallic stripes going down in a diagonal manner to the bottom.

AW5-glass12.jpg

I misunderstood your question last time... Yes - the balconies will be decidedly different.

Tower #4 - the completed one - has a blue tinted glass and following the rotation, mixed within the balcony glass, are thin strips with more reflection than the regular blue tint.

Tower #5 - the one in the pics above - will have clear glass but as the glass wraps the building, there is a fritted pattern in white that creates a 'wave' effect. This will accentuate the buildings curves.

These have been posted several times in this thread to help understand the balconies, but here they are again:

absolute_towers_mad160309_4.jpg

Last edited:
Uh - cool! Nicely done.

Great shots Jasonzed! The second one from bottom chows the difference between the 2 buildings very clearly. If people still can't see the difference, there's no helping them.

They're working on 7 floors at one time and the pace would seem to work out to 2 floors per day. If they make good time and there are no setbacks, it could be nearly done by the end of October.

I wasn't expecting the variation in balcony railings between the two buildings, but such touches of differentiation among two buildings with common architecture are sophisticated and should make the finished project even better.

Back