Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

I like the glass balcony on tower E. I am intrigued now by how the wave pattern on the glass will affect the overall appearance of the tower.

I must add that the podium does look a lot better at ground level than from a distance. However, I do not like the balconies on the podium. I think the podium should have been 100% commercial (or at least look like it is 100% commercial) - if feels like it is one of those strip malls with residences above shops.

I really LIKE the frameless balcony glass railing ... good catch drum118, thank you for the great update, puts a smile on the day for me ~ :)

5959645228_49f9130bd5_b.jpg

5959082917_019c98a527_b.jpg

I always thought glass-paneled balconies had to have a metal railing between them, by building code law... As a backup safety-barrier in case a panel shatters.

If one of these break, there is nothing stopping you from tumbling over the edge.

:confused:

you raise a good pint Traynor ... but I think the glass railing treatment at here is the same as Festival Tower (which I also adore) ~

I always thought glass-paneled balconies had to have a metal railing between them, by building code law... As a backup safety-barrier in case a panel shatters.

If one of these break, there is nothing stopping you from tumbling over the edge.

:confused:

I imagine a rail will be installed behind the glass to prevent that from happening.

But if I am not mistaken, the metal frame and railings were installed prior to the glass panels at Festival, not after. That is why I was concerned with Absolute not having the rails.

Edit: Looking back through the Bell/Lightbox thread, I see I was correct. The frames and railings were integral and installed at the same time before the glass panels were inserted.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean they won't be installed at a later date, or that they even need to be. Maybe this glass is shatter proof like car windshields?

But if I am not mistaken, the metal frame and railings were installed prior to the glass panels at Festival, not after.
Straight lines are easier in terms of tolerances - and when the glass is the same size and shape over and over - rather than one-off pieces that may have only one possible location on the building. It's possible that with the curves involved, and changes on every single floor, that they will have an easier time making field-adjustments to the rail than having problems making the glass fit onto the standoffs - glass that is pre-drilled and tempered offsite. If the pics from Festival Tower are any indication, they can drill though the backside of the rail at pretty much any point, at any time before or after the glass.

That doesn't mean they won't be installed at a later date, or that they even need to be. Maybe this glass is shatter proof like car windshields?
I would hope not - car windshields are very strong against incoming forces, but you can knock them out from the inside quite easily.

Straight lines are easier in terms of tolerances - and when the glass is the same size and shape over and over - rather than one-off pieces that may have only one possible location on the building. It's possible that with the curves involved, and changes on every single floor, that they will have an easier time making field-adjustments to the rail than having problems making the glass fit onto the standoffs - glass that is pre-drilled and tempered offsite. If the pics from Festival Tower are any indication, they can drill though the backside of the rail at pretty much any point, at any time before or after the glass...

However...

As can be clearly seen on older pictures of the taller tower... The railing was integral with the frame and the glass was installed after the fact... Regardless of the curve difficulty you mentioned.

20101016047.jpg

(Image courtesy Jasonzed in this thread found here: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-56-50s-MAD-(Yansong-Ma))?p=453336#post453336 )

I am just scared of heights and don't like clear glass balconies as it is... Add in the fact that there is no railing and I would have a stroke.

Last edited:
However...

As can be clearly seen on older pictures of the taller tower... The railing was integral with the frame and the glass was installed after the fact... Regardless of the curve difficulty you mentioned.
You have a point, but, tower 5 has panels that clearly have only one location. Tower 4 has the same exact panels everywhere, so if one cracks or doesn't fit, just grab another one and keep moving your way around. If you look again, the Tower 4 glass is encased along the top and bottom edge - in the inside of the framing, which leaves room for slack, whereas Tower 5 is attached through holes drilled right in the glass - a much more precise operation that I have some experience with (edgelighting architectural glass).

I am just scared of heights and don't like clear glass balconies as it is... Add in the fact that there is no railing and I would have a stroke.
On this I agree. I definitely get a vertigo feeling when standing on balconies, I can only imagine what it would be like to look down and see the structure below you twist right out of your vision. It's less the actual height, though, and more the scary urge I would have to jump. I've been skydiving, bungeed, ziplined, etc, so it's not a suicide death wish thing, more just a twisted temptation. I'm thinking it passes after a while if you live on a high floor (I'm a lowly 4th floor dweller right now), but if buying on a high floor, I think I'd probably go with a place that has no balcony at all.

There was a guy in my high school who died because he had a habit of doing hand-stands on the apartment balcony... maybe that feeds into it a bit for me.

Last edited:
It's less the actual height, though, and more the scary urge I would have to jump. I've been skydiving, bungeed, ziplined, etc, so it's not a suicide death wish thing, more just a twisted temptation.

That feeling is common enough that the French have a name for it: l'appel du vide. Having worked on the edges of many highrises I definitely know what you're talking about.

You have a point, but, tower 5 has panels that clearly have only one location. Tower 4 has the same exact panels everywhere, so if one cracks or doesn't fit, just grab another one and keep moving your way around. If you look again, the Tower 4 glass is encased along the top and bottom edge - in the inside of the framing, which leaves room for slack, whereas Tower 5 is attached through holes drilled right in the glass - a much more precise operation that I have some experience with (edgelighting architectural glass).

It's less the actual height, though, and more the scary urge I would have to jump.

I thought I was the only crazy one who feels this way!!!! I feel this way even on escalators in high places, etc. It's not that I want to jump, but I feel like what if I somehow tripped or someone pushed me. Freaks me out.

As I said in my posting, I holding my judgement on the the baloney until I see more of it.

From what I saw of the post supporting the glass as well the glass connection cause me some concerns.

Looking at the balonies of tower 1-3, they have no handrail, other than the top framing.

Since it was dusk when I shot these photos, I could be wrong until I check the site again, the post are very thin both in thickness as well width. I expect to see a top metal edge added to the glass like Tower D, but something gut wise is saying no.

Personal at this stage, standing next to that railing is out of the question.

Back