Toronto Abacus Lofts | ?m | 8s | DAZ | BDP Quadrangle

It really overwhelms its surroundings.

Here's hoping the rather awful surroundings improve, and soon. That CROPS tag is hideous, and all of the surrounding buildings could be replaced without me shedding a tear, especially the ones to the east.

It's clear hardly anyone gives a damn about good architecture in Toronto--or even on UT--just compare the number of thread views to mediocre projects like Aura vs great ones like Abacus
2CqcRGM.jpg

KEwDuXb.jpg

g7j0cCC.jpg

kTpfGhC.jpg

5I0heGj.jpg

LYHqZvk.jpg

X5vgksM.jpg

dfjI6BC.jpg

DMgvQcW.jpg

hp5qTu8.jpg

Abacus Lofts is in the 1% of Toronto's best contempory condo architecture.

It's clear hardly anyone gives a damn about good architecture in Toronto--or even on UT--just compare the number of thread views to mediocre projects like Aura vs great ones like Abacus

Abacus Lofts is in the 1% of Toronto's best contempory condo architecture.

Thanks for the pics. Agreed that this is a fabulous project. And I'm glad someone finally figured out the right way to use spandrel... not at all!

But your comparison is kinda silly. How many projects under ten storeys get more than a few pages of comments, anyway? Besides, caring about something doesn't mean you like it. I visit the Aura page because I care about what a monstrosity we have created.

I am looking forward to see the strips of random horizontal light boxes on the front of the building, however I do not see any electrical rough-ins on those blank spandrel strips where they are supposed to go.
It's hard to tell where the entrance is on the building, it seems to blend in with its retail space, otherwise this is a very fine building. Hopefully it will encourage the neighbourhood to improve with it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2773.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG
    690.8 KB · Views: 1,260
  • IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    636.5 KB · Views: 1,255
  • IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2771.JPG
    952 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_2769.JPG
    IMG_2769.JPG
    960.3 KB · Views: 1,284
Resident here; long-time listener, first time caller. I agree about the windows, seems mine have never been cleaned. My other concern is how to clean the very dirty carpet, as they've laid plain (!) black with a grey border (YAWN) in the corridors. Whoever picked that has obviously not tested it with even a speck of dirt on their shoes.

Once you've found the nondescript entrance, the lobby is also a trip to snooze town, with painted grey walls that almost-but-don't-quite match the "let's just leave it" concrete floor. As a stickler for contrast, and y'know, finished materials, this bugs me every time I come home. The only point of interest is the recessed light boxes that were supposed to have been, but I also suspect never will be, installed on the exterior. SAD FACE. I appreciate my very, very low condo fees, but I wish I'd been hired to design the public areas. And ain't value engineering a b****?

Is the reinforced concrete board supposed to fade so fast? Especially on a north face. Remember when it was actually black for a hot minute?

Its really awesome. Has so much character. I love how it fits in with the aging mismatched buildings. Would be great to see more.

Back