Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

^ I think it's worth clarifying that the sub-par architecture firm doesn't intentionally use low-quality materials, rather that if the developer goes cheap with the design, they will probably do so with the materials as well. Issue of correlation does not equal causation.

'Intentionally' is a loaded word, but in many ways such materials actually are 'intentionally' selected. Suppliers establish relationships with architectural firms with the hope that their product will be specc'ed on future projects. Regardless of whether the product is good or not, if the relationship is then it's likely that the firm will will continue to use it. This is why you see the same window wall system used on pretty much all P&S projects from Malibu to Museum House.

Maybe so but that's still probably a function of the client that hires said firm, no? If they had the leeway to use more expensive materials, they would instead form relationships with the suppliers that offer them.

I don't think any one wakes up in the morning with the goal to create mediocrity. At least I hope not.

Maybe so but that's still probably a function of the client that hires said firm, no? If they had the leeway to use more expensive materials, they would instead form relationships with the suppliers that offer them.

I don't think any one wakes up in the morning with the goal to create mediocrity. At least I hope not.

You'd be surprised. There's an abundance of artists toiling in obscurity, and mediocre imitators making bank because they know how to run the business.

Meanwhile, which firm designed the Delta Toronto that everyone seems to love, especially its glazing? Oh yeah, Page + Steele.

I'm not denying that P+S have been involved with some less than spectacular projects, but until the particular building is taking on its final form, you're just not going to know.

I know. Most of these suppliers are part of the cuz'nz club mentality. You know: Uncle A sells real estate; Unce B makes window wall; Uncle C is a developer.

As an artist, I know. I buy paint from X,Y & Z. Y company proves to be the best value so I keep returning for more paint. Same on SketchUp: I've found some "reliable" Google 3D Warehouse suppliers so I keep returning to their "shops" for parts :)

Last edited:
Meanwhile, which firm designed the Delta Toronto that everyone seems to love, especially its glazing? Oh yeah, Page + Steele.

I'm not denying that P+S have been involved with some less than spectacular projects, but until the particular building is taking on its final form, you're just not going to know.

Huh, I thought the Delta was KPMB. If it's indeed P+S, they deserve credit. It's turning out pretty solid.

To clarify, KPMB designed the office tower component while P+S and IBI Group designed the Delta.
88 Scott is by the same team (P+S, IBI).

It would make sense. The styling and size is about right for a downtown core Apple store. Yorkdale's is now 5x the size, and Eaton Centre is becoming seriously lacking. NYC has multiple grand-sized ones downtown.

Here's to hoping.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the Apple Store shown in that rendering was anything other than fanciful. They're just trying to make the space look exciting to potential retailers.

(If Apple were adding a new store Downtown, the spot that would make the most sense would be Union Station's new mall anyway.)

If I am Apple, I'd be calling my lawyers - not for putting a fictional Apple store in the rendering (which is bit of an honour anyways), but butchering Apple aesthetics. Like 3 glowing Apple logos in a tight row? Are they nuts? Have they actually seen how Apple package their stores?

Actually come to think of it, it totally reminded me of those Chinese knockoff Apple stores
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/07/21/the-ultimate-knock-off-a-fake-apple-store/

AoD

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the Apple Store shown in that rendering was anything other than fanciful. They're just trying to make the space look exciting to potential retailers.

(If Apple were adding a new store Downtown, the spot that would make the most sense would be Union Station's new mall anyway.)

Or somewhere on Queen West. Closer to Silicon Alley.

If I am Apple, I'd be calling my lawyers - not for putting a fictional Apple store in the rendering (which is bit of an honour anyways), but butchering Apple aesthetics. Like 3 glowing Apple logos in a tight row? Are they nuts? Have they actually seen how Apple package their stores?

Actually come to think of it, it totally reminded me of those Chinese knockoff Apple stores
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/07/21/the-ultimate-knock-off-a-fake-apple-store/

AoD

I thought the exact same thing!

Everything from multiple logos to the glass overhang doesn't feel right.

AoD

its definitely © infringement, something Apple doesn't take kindly to.

Back