Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

The only Vancouver connection that I can glean about this project is the fact that the developer is based in Vancouver. I can't see any architectural influences whatsoever.

Ok. Let's see if this works.

Concert Prop is BC based so it's not surprising they'd be influenced by their experience there (compare to Brad Lamb's Calgary & Ottawa projects which have a very "Toronto modernism style".) I view 88 Scott as a sort of P+S filter on a typical James KM Cheng blandcouver design. If you can't see the relationship between these generic towers and stuff like P+S's Success Towers then I can't help much. (One day I'm gonna have to organize a tour of the towers--showing y'all precisely what I mean in comparing say an aA glass tower to a P+S/Cheng glass tower.

eg: Yaletown Park is a shorter version of 88 Scott only with less glass. Same "oh wow look it's sooooooo Manhattan man c.1930" cheesy nods; same bizarre marketing driven "viewing boxes" found on typical Vancouver towers like Silver.

Basically, instead of thinking about the area and how to pair the old with the new, they've taken a "template" and shoehorned it into the site. In the end, it's strictly functional in the way a brand new SFH in suburban Kitchener is functional--it's got a bathroom, granite countertops & ss appliances!!! But it's not special, like those cool River City condos.

I view 88 Scott as a sort of P+S filter on a typical James KM Cheng blandcouver design. If you can't see the relationship between these generic towers and stuff like P+S's Success Towers then I can't help much.

This is a red herring. We're not comparing Success Towers to Vancouver architecture, but 88 Scott. I grant you that they're both by P+S, and will share that same lack of quality materials and attention to detail, but they're different design styles.

eg: Yaletown Park is a shorter version of 88 Scott only with less glass. Same "oh wow look it's sooooooo Manhattan man c.1930" cheesy nods; same bizarre marketing driven "viewing boxes" found on typical Vancouver towers like Silver.

Meh, I bet I can find designs like that in almost every city on the continent. I think you're reading too much into the fact that Concert is from Vancouver. Let's call a spade a spade; it's just a typical cheap PoMo design that you can already find everywhere in the GTA suburbs. The fact that this tower and many of the designs in Vancouver are cheap and bland doesn't make them kin.

It would be nice if the "Projects & Construction" threads could be separated from the "Urban Dreamer craving attention" threads, so those of us actually interested in the projects and construction could actually read about the... PROJECTS AND CONSTRUCTION.

Ok. Let's see if this works.

Concert Prop is BC based so it's not surprising they'd be influenced by their experience there (compare to Brad Lamb's Calgary & Ottawa projects which have a very "Toronto modernism style".) I view 88 Scott as a sort of P+S filter on a typical James KM Cheng blandcouver design. If you can't see the relationship between these generic towers and stuff like P+S's Success Towers then I can't help much. (One day I'm gonna have to organize a tour of the towers--showing y'all precisely what I mean in comparing say an aA glass tower to a P+S/Cheng glass tower.

Basically, instead of thinking about the area and how to pair the old with the new, they've taken a "template" and shoehorned it into the site. In the end, it's strictly functional in the way a brand new SFH in suburban Kitchener is functional--it's got a bathroom, granite countertops & ss appliances!!! But it's not special, like those cool River City condos.

THAT'S the best you can do??? After all that time to look??? Neither of the buildings you reference looks very much like 88 Scott. They are relatively tall and contain condos or stratas, as we say in BC. That's about it for similarity.

I think you actually know that since you bring in extraneous and irrelevant stuff by the truckload in the rest of your post. If you actually could make a direct comparison, I presume you would do so. Instead, as another poster noted, you compare the building you light upon in Yaletown with an entirely different Toronto building, not 88 Scott which is the topic of this thread. Moreover, the Vancouver building is the work of a different developer, not Concert. Well, at least you got the same architect as 88 Scott for the Toronto building. Then you travel over to Burnaby to reference Silver, and there you get both a different developer, Intracorp, and a different architect. But it still doesn't look very much like 88 Scott. And, if all that irrelevance does not suffice, you offer to give us a tour comparing aA to yet another different architect. Wow!

Your performance, sir, was an absolute tour de force of the art of obfuscation!

Last edited:
I was too busy today getting photo updates to spend much time on google. I will gather up the evidence and present it at some point (soon) but in the meantime, enjoy the benefits of my 20 mile walk today ... for free!

On topic: I got within a stone's throw of 88 Scott but after a timmie's stop I got distracted ... so sorry no updates here today :(

Last edited:
Last you'll see of this scene, I believe demolition is supposed to start this month.

88m26.jpg

Hmmm.

It would be nice if the "Projects & Construction" threads could be separated from the "Urban Dreamer craving attention" threads, so those of us actually interested in the projects and construction could actually read about the... PROJECTS AND CONSTRUCTION.

Great photo TOCondoGarden! Thanks for sharing.

I heard about some plans to turn Scott into a Pied-a-terre.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard about some plans to turn Scott into a Pied-a-terre.

I don't want to sound nit-picky but I believe that's an incorrect application of pied-a-terre. I think I understand your point though.

Anyways, Leader Lane's streetscape is rather incomplete but it has potential to be a charming pedestrian passage.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound nit-picky but I believe that's a incorrect application of pied-a-terre. I think I understand your point though.

Anyways, Leader Lane's streetscape is rather incomplete but it has potential to be a charming pedestrian passage.

You're not nit picking at all. Anthony's usually half asleep when posting here :p

Back