Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

I'll wait for the cladding... it looks very Quantum/Minto Midtown-esque... and the brick/older facade looks very cheap... and it's even worse because it goes all the way near the top of the tower... I expect this to go well with 1 King West... for some reason, this one reminds me of it... I want this tower to look good... it's going to be powerful on the skyline.

Err, um, whatever.

Anyhow, 17 Sept 2011 I went for a 15 mile construction photo update walk, here's what I saw on Yonge St:

125dt.jpg

Where's the nearest grocery store going to be ? I think the nearest will be the shitty Metro in the St Lawrence Market area. Anyway, all these condos going up and nobody's ensuring that there will be supporting amenities nearby. Walking this section of Yonge will get more crowded than it already is, at least during rush hours, but then nothing after 7pm.

Where's the nearest grocery store going to be ? I think the nearest will be the shitty Metro in the St Lawrence Market area. Anyway, all these condos going up and nobody's ensuring that there will be supporting amenities nearby.

Metro is fine for basic staples but there's also St. Lawrence Market for the best meat, fish, poultry, bread, pasta, cheese, vegetables, fruit, nuts etc. all under one roof. What could possibly be better? I'd love to live here if the apartment designs are any good.

What is coming in spring of 2012:confused:...sales or groundbreaking

i think sales centre/sales opening... I'm guessing a completion date of 2015.... jeez... 2015 seems so far away! (when in reality, it's not... I'm still thinking in the context of 2009.. where towers like Trump/Shangri-la were slated for completion in 2011/2012)

I do like the 2 faces of this proposal quite a bit ... on one side the precast echos with the preserved existing building base (and the westerly adjacent heritage building at NE corner of Yonge & Wellington), while on the other side a glass window wall system adds a modern touch to the tower ... PLUS I definitely like terracing of the top at the top a lot :)

The design for 501 Yonge (if that's what you call it) is not even close for comparison, that really just looks like a 10 year old drawing 2 boxes and claiming it is 'architecture' by a star architectural firm :rolleyes:

^ agreed. As much as people arent liking the wrap around box and the precast concrete in the teaser render, it seems like it was all well thought out. The design looks like it will blend in with its key surroundings. Hopefully the negativity subsides when a newer render comes out.

Anyone think this design would benefit from a spire? or is that a bit too brookfield place

^ agreed. As much as people arent liking the wrap around box and the precast concrete in the teaser render, it seems like it was all well thought out. The design looks like it will blend in with its key surroundings. Hopefully the negativity subsides when a newer render comes out.

Anyone think this design would benefit from a spire? or is that a bit too brookfield place

A straight, pointed spire (or two a-la EPCOR in Edmonton) would look awesome on this IMO.

I do like the 2 faces of this proposal quite a bit ... on one side the precast echos with the preserved existing building base (and the westerly adjacent heritage building at NE corner of Yonge & Wellington), while on the other side a glass window wall system adds a modern touch to the tower ... PLUS I definitely like terracing of the top at the top a lot :)

The design for 501 Yonge (if that's what you call it) is not even close for comparison, that really just looks like a 10 year old drawing 2 boxes and claiming it is 'architecture' by a star architectural firm :rolleyes:

Why are you so keen to fight about something you know nothing about? You haven't seen 501 Yonge yet and insisting that it will be of poor quality only makes you look bad.

Yes, wasn't the released elevation only a massing study, not the final version?

Back