Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

hahaha "conservative, stale designs"

Personally I am very tired of meat grinder architecture in Toronto- If I was the developer of this project I would fire the architect- But then again we are dealing with a developer and a consumer who has no knowledge or consideration for what is good and what is bad.

So what you like = good, and what you don't like = bad.. Got it.

I really like this building, and I have quite a lot of knowledge and consideration for "what is good and what is bad" thank you very much. I in fact would commend the architect for not falling under the banal glass box fad that's sweeping certain firms in this city. Your post goes no further than saying "architectural vomit comet", and you criticize other people's comments? Have some depth to your own before you prove yourself to be a hypocrite (though it's a bit too late for that).

I like Brutalism, other people don't. Does that mean either of us is wrong? No. Does that mean Brutalism is an "architectural vomit comet"? To one perseon, yes, to me, no. In my opinion (which is not at all ignorant to architecture and design), this is not as bad as your deep, thoughtful comment made it out to be. If you would like to try for a re-do and go into depth about what you don't like about this rendering, maybe I and others will be more inclined to pay you any attention whatsoever.

Ready for your close-up, 88?

88ScottSkyline750.jpg

Speaking for myself, I think it looks fine. 88 Scott will be a handsome (and prominent) addition to the eastern Toronto skyline.

Looks awesome! Looks more like the type of treatment a Chicago condo would get.

Something different than a modernist glass tower is a good thing for Toronto methinks.

That M5Vish mechanical box and the asymetry is just weird - would have worked much better if the precast material is across the entire building and gradually transitions to the all glass setbacks.

AoD

I completely agree with AoD that the box is incongruous. The rest is lovely, however. I would hope that the glassy set-backs will be lit at night.

I completely agree with AoD that the box is incongruous. The rest is lovely, however.

+1.

I think there are many ways to maintain a large glassy expanse (presumably it's for gym/party room functions) that fit in better with the stately aesthetics of the rest of the building.

I would have liked it even more if they would've clad it with that cream-coloured precast the whole way through, rather than transition to the usual glass curtain wall. Oh well, I'm just happy to see some sort of ziggurat rather than the usual box.

That could work very nicely, though not in the Uptown way. Light beige brick would be even better - tall and slim with a Morgan top...

AoD

Well, or in the interest of sustainability, maybe the Carrera slabs from FCP with a micrometre or two polished off. Couldn't they have used it to line the interior, at least?

AoD

Basically, I like what I see, with a reservation or two, or maybe three.
-I am not feeling comfortable with the styling of this proposal considering what else exists in the immediate area. I need to see a full render, and I have to visualize a bit. It may be fine, but ...
- close neighbour with L Tower, and some other things presently going up. Will it be an architectural shouting match when all is said and done?
- about that box thing, I just don't know, I just don't know. It looks out of place and contrived. Repeat: need full render.

maybe the Carrera slabs from FCP
AoD

http://www.redefiningfirst.com/Overview/FAQ.aspx#project-10
From the link:
What will happen to the old marble?

In keeping with Brookfield and the co-owner's commitment to the environment, all marble will be repurposed. We are exploring a variety of uses for the fill including use as rooftop reflective ballast (white Carrara marble is very desirable for this LEED©-friendly purpose), landscaping projects and community arts programs.

+1 to axing that out-of-place, elevated box.

Back