Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

DSC06823_zpsdumivwkp.jpg

I haven't checked the updates in a while as I don't share the popular opinion at all. however,

This tower is shockingly getting much worse as additional protruding boxes are completed. It would be a mediocre PoMo inspiration without them. It's downright heinous with them. It makes the mundane Uptown look fabulous.

I haven't checked the updates in a while as I don't share the popular opinion at all. however,

This tower is shockingly getting much worse as additional protruding boxes are completed. It would be a mediocre PoMo inspiration without them. It's downright heinous with them. It makes the mundane Uptown look fabulous.

Not even close.

Strictly, from a skyline point of view, it's looking like a mishmash of styles to me - a review of the Toronto condo look stacked to 58 stories. However, it fulfills one requirement of mine for iconic status in Toronto these days - it makes me take a second look. For this recent imposition on the skyline, it's all up to viewer to decide the reason for a second look .

I'm all about what I consider good. Bland or boring doesn't bother me providing it fits that criteria. I do desire the exceptional that is worthy of a second look from everyone but, again, good has to follow exceptional.

I totally disagree with above posters that it is timeless or will stand the test of time. I suspect the novelty will wear off and forumers will eventually see it as it is. Maybe, I just hope it works out that way. IMHO, it's no wonder so much crap gets built when something like this gets praised on urbantoronto. I assume it's all because it different from the dreaded glass box.

Throwing that commonplace glass overhang on the resurrected facade is sacrilege.

Last edited:
I have to agree with @maestro on this one. Other than its height and location, I don't see much to celebrate here. It reminds me of a taller version of the Canada Post Headquarters with a couple extra flourishes. Canada Post was a decent effort for Ottawa 25 years ago that failed to live up to its ambition, hardly something to emulate in Toronto's financial district in 2017.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.3769...8&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

That said, I tend to dislike many postmodern designs. It is possible that this could grow on me over time, since I used to feel the same about brutalist structures, but am becoming appreciative of the good ones.

I also agree that the sidewalk glass canopy will be out of place.

I just noticed from the pics that the north view from the Harhay project on The Esplanade will be quite spectacular.

Throwing that commonplace glass overhang on the resurrected facade is sacrilege.

Seems minor compared to the mismatched 6th floor that was appended to the building during its expansion years back. In my opinion, the reconfigured podium is much more welcoming at ground level. I could do without the glass overhang as well though.

It's hard to see in my photo but the public art piece is being installed on the atrium ceiling.

More information about the art piece can be found here.

IMG_3169.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Throwing that commonplace glass overhang on the resurrected facade is sacrilege.[/QUOTE]

I like street canopies, especially with trees. Some of the coolest spots in Europe and in NYC or San Fran are filled with examples.

copy-of-img_5964.jpg

meatpacking-district.jpg
54455-Puglia_Ristorante_New_York_City.jpg
Restaurants_4277.jpg

Attachments

• Restaurants_4277.jpg
    Restaurants_4277.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 338
  • meatpacking-district.jpg
    meatpacking-district.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 54455-Puglia_Ristorante_New_York_City.jpg
    54455-Puglia_Ristorante_New_York_City.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 329
  • copy-of-img_5964.jpg
    copy-of-img_5964.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 371
It's not about a street canopy. It's about the Sears catalog design of it on the facadism. I disagree it is needed or adds value but, if it's absolutely necessary for one, this was not the way to go. It's just a vain attempt to tie the facadism into the glass addition. Why?

Last edited:
Today:

88-IMG_0032.JPG
88-IMG_0033.JPG
88-IMG_0051.JPG
88-IMG_0053.JPG

Attachments

• 88-IMG_0032.JPG
    88-IMG_0032.JPG
    630.2 KB · Views: 388
  • 88-IMG_0033.JPG
    88-IMG_0033.JPG