Toronto 88 Queen | 167.35m | 52s | St Thomas Dev | Hariri Pontarini

You don't like the commercial building? The towers are indeed crap but, they aren't aA.

I do admire the commercial bldg of that project ... however I was referencing the crappy condo towers which are shown on drawings with aA's title block

Off course as usual, they are looking at more of this crap

and less of this stuff

I envision the DRP as a conveyer belt where homogeneity emerges on the opposite side of the scanner/screening process.

Interesting to note the concerns regarding affordable housing. While valid, I do wonder about their place in a design review discussion.... Do we know who was on the panel for this particular project?

From the front page story

19813-67187.jpg
19813-67184.jpg
19813-67181.jpg
19813-67180.jpg

Attachments

• 19813-67187.jpg
    19813-67187.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 787
  • 19813-67184.jpg
    19813-67184.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 775
  • 19813-67181.jpg
    19813-67181.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 754
  • 19813-67180.jpg
    19813-67180.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 751
These look great. I don't care who designed them. They are interesting.

But the point you continually refuse to see is that they won't look so great once they're actually built. aA might be repetitive but they are consistently good. Firms like P&S will come up with these whacky, imaginative designs and proceed to ruin them with low quality material and corner cutting. I'd rather another glass box that is actually nice to look at than some ugly monstrosity that tries too hard to be "unique."

Well, I think that those of us that like what we're seeing are going by what we see in the renders and not the "actual" built product. Whether or not this will turn to crap, only time will tell....

But the point you continually refuse to see is that they won't look so great once they're actually built. aA might be repetitive but they are consistently good. Firms like P&S will come up with these whacky, imaginative designs and proceed to ruin them with low quality material and corner cutting. I'd rather another glass box that is actually nice to look at than some ugly monstrosity that tries too hard to be "unique."
No I get your point. But you do not know that these will look bad.

You folks think that because I don't agree with your opinions means that I don't know what I am saying. WRONG. News flash. People have different opinions.

Well, I think that those of us that like what we're seeing are going by what we see in the renders and not the "actual" built product. Whether or not this will turn to crap, only time will tell....

That's not true at all. You can look at the track records of the firms involved and get a general sense of how things will likely go.

No I get your point. But you do not know that these will look bad.

You folks think that because I don't agree with your opinions means that I don't know what I am saying. WRONG. News flash. People have different opinions.

Yep, but that doesn't mean we have to treat all of them with equal deference or authority.

By the time it does, it would be too late - e.g. Hotel X.

AoD

Understood, but who allowed them to build that garbage in the first place? The architect designs the builder builds, I'm sure P&S does all it can to make their clients happy and unfortunately for the most part that means cheapening of materials and more profit for the investors and builders.
Look at some of the towers like Lago and Jade and how that is turning out compared to the renders, we can't blame the designers for that! The design for this looks interesting and beautiful in my opinion, I can't predict on wether or not it would ever end up looking this good but as it is presented, I think it's hard for anyone to say that it's not a pleasant change from the norm. Now if we could only have some controls as to the materials used that actually meant more quality and less cheapening that would be something!

Yep, but that doesn't mean we have to treat all of them with equal deference or authority.

No, of course not. But comments "the point you continually refuse to see" are unfair. People are entitled to be excited and hopeful about a design, and another person's skepticism, no matter how well informed, doesn't entitle them to treat the first person like an idiot they are incapable of understanding the issue.

The real issue here is the City's ongoing inability to secure the important design and construction aspects of developments. The City spends way too much time hand-wringing over building height, and not nearly enough time ensuring that what was promised in the applications is actually built.

Back