Toronto 875 Queen East | ?m | 7s | Harhay | OFFICEArchitecture

20220415_160722.jpg
20220415_160727.jpg
20220415_160746.jpg
20220415_160845.jpg

A bit too busy for my tastes. I much prefer the simplicity of The Logan down the street.

A bit too busy for my tastes. I much prefer the simplicity of The Logan down the street.
that's fair, there's a lot going on. But I think both developments have above average pedestrian realms with the retail scale/design/materials

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that it's almost entirely chains that have taken up the commercial space at this development. In theory, smaller retail footprints are supposed to attract more independent ("mom and pop") retailers and restaurants. Why didn't this occur here?

You can't force independent retailers to take units. Likewise, if you have a chain that wants to take space, why would Harhay (or whomever owns the retail if it's not them) turn down a lease?

You can't force independent retailers to take units.

This much is true.

Likewise, if you have a chain that wants to take space, why would Harhay (or whomever owns the retail if it's not them) turn down a lease?

PE, we know almost everyone's money is good; but if that's the entire argument, then the world is reduced to crap.

It is possible for private interests to aspire beyond the simplest, fastest dollar to something that builds their reputation, and something that builds the long term success of their developments and the areas around them, which builds them long term brand value and political capital.

Some developers are highly selective and do curate their retail mix, going out and finding who they want to fill the space, not merely taking the first reliable payer.

Beyond that, of course, government has the option, as I've long discussed, of restricting chain retail, it's been done in the U.S., in France and many other places.

I tend to oppose needless regulation, but at the same time, I don't think a Starbucks on every corner is acceptable let alone desirable. It would be nice not merely to have variety, but a coffee shop that can make good coffee.

Same applies to the retail mix here.

At least the commercial spaces are all occupied with generally useful businesses. Compare this to the retail stretching along the south side of queen, west of woodbine where most of the units for 3 or 4 blocks are vacant and have been for years.

Back