Toronto 86 John Street | 42.97m | 10s | Tawse | Sweeny &Co

Found myself wondering what was happening to this and it looks like they're trying to convert it to residential. What are the chances this gets approved? Seems like a pretty significant departure from what was proposed.

I was looking forward to seeing what they'd come up with here from the restaurant stand point so I'm kind of disappointed. Maybe the thin floor plates were difficult to lease?

Some updated plans/renders below:
Cross.PNG

East.PNG

South.PNG

Attachments

• Cross.PNG
    Cross.PNG
    119.8 KB · Views: 2,270
  • East.PNG
    East.PNG
    324.9 KB · Views: 2,306
  • South.PNG
    South.PNG
    794.7 KB · Views: 2,267
It's an ideal scale for infill projects, 10-30+ units in a narrow step-back tower, is perfect. I would like to see more of this type of development, as opposed to properties being amalgamated in order to build larger point towers, with ugly bases.

This type of building is very much the typology in latin american cities (ie: Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, etc.).

1548607777302.png

I'll take this bump to let everyone know that this has been approved with conditions at the Jan 23rd CoA meeting. I'm not very good at finding CoA decisions, but I think I read somewhere that this just has to be set back more from the lane between Cinema Tower and Pinnacle on Adelaide. Also, I was pretty sure this wasn't a rental, but I think I saw mention of that somewhere in the documentation.

Hard to imagine how this could be set back more given how small the site already is, but I'm excited about this - great to see narrow buildings like this.

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 3.36.05 PM.png

Awesome! I've been wondering when they'd resubmit this. I'm a sucker for these narrow infill sites and the cladding materials look like they could be interesting.

As far as I know this was approved already at the committee of adjustment and it looks like these are rentals as well, so it's possible this could start sooner than later!

What excites me most about this project is how the alleyway behind the Lightbox is suddenly going to be an activated part of the public realm with the retail being proposed.

This is exactly what world-tier cities do - the inadvertent creation of little nooks and crannies that are worth exploring and getting lost in!

The previous design was great looking. Quite predictably it was swapped out for something forgettable. The proportions are still nice but that's about all.

I think if quality materials are used, the current design will be perfect for the site. It's almost exactly the same design as the previous one, but without the chamfered corners. The very first design was sort of interesting, but I don't think it could have been built without compromising the vision promised by the rendering.

IMO too many people often get caught up in little design gimmicks that don't really have any contextural relevance and can often work to quickly date a design.

Back