Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

November 16, 2022:

IMG_6386.jpg
IMG_6387.jpg
IMG_6388.jpg

If you're a fan of it and haven't seen our front page story on the winners of our yearly poll yet, it may not surprise you that 75 on the Esplanade won this height category!

And the retail space looks to be leased finally. To be a No Frills.

I assume this is to replace the one at King/Princess? Or is this in addition to...?

View attachment 587775
The space here is TINY compared to their location at Princess and Front so this looks like a Mini-No-Frills (a new concept to compete with Rabba??). The Front/Princess store will not be closed for years.

Last edited:
The space here is TINY compared to their location at Princess and Front so this looks like a Mini-No-Frills (a new concept to compete with Raba??). The Front/Princess store will not be closed for years.

Maybe they are aiming for a format that is more like Aldi - before Aldi shows up.

AoD

The space here is TINY compared to their location at Princess and Front so this looks like a Mini-No-Frills (a new concept to compete with Raba??). The Front/Princess store will not be closed for years.
Good call. I know No Frills are exploring this new smaller format. Would you happen to know the total size of the retail space at 75 esplanade?

Maybe they are aiming for a format that is more like Aldi - before Aldi shows up.

AoD
Loblaws had already experimented with their "small" format about 10 years ago and it was called The Box - one had opened in Windsor and then they just shelved the whole imitative. Aldi and Lidl are both very cool grocery shopping environments and they should still come to Canada.

May 31, 2024 CTV report.

“Loblaw is testing smaller-format discount stores across the country this year as shoppers increasingly look for ways to save on their grocery bill.”

"We're able to offer an entire shop within the space of 10,000 square feet in a pocket of downtown Toronto that we don't have a hard discount presence in," she said in an interview at the grand opening of the first store in the rollout. "So we're super proud of that."

The first store opened at the corner of King and Shaw St. in Liberty Village on May 30, 2024, one of several slated to open between now and Thanksgiving.

I don't think they are phasing it out per se but focusing on discount grocers as thats where sales growth has been lately as people seek out value options.

A lot of the "urban" downtown grocery growth in the last 10-15 years has been higher-end grocers, so I think loblaws is trying to enter these under-served markets with discount grocers in small formats and high volume items only to try to cover the higher rents even with a value-focused sales strategy.

Back