Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

I'd be willing to bet that once the costing of going through the parking garage and the berm has been done, that we'd be lucky to get a pedestrian connection. I can't see Church Street itself ever going through.

Regarding the height of the building, my guess is that the the drop from 34 to 29 storeys has been to remove any new shadowing of Berczy Park between September and March. Now that that's accomplished, I would be very surprised if the tower got any shorter.

Future site. Looking forward to losing this parking lot.

I don't think I ever noticed that Market Street still runs north of King and intersects with Commercial Street in this shot.

True. Given the "blank slate" nature of the St. Lawrence area in the 60's and 70's, it's unfortunate that the Planning Department, while laying the groundwork for the Crombie Park neighbourhood, did not enshrine setbacks and a clear view down Church Street (which is surprising given that maintaining sightlines to the lake was an element in the "bible" of that era: George Baird's On Building Downtown). I think that the planners collectively held their noses to achieve the public benefit of social housing and a parking garage in the Klein & Sears building 55 The Esplanade (1982) which blocks the vista.

Maybe because the street never went through it never occurred to them to make a vista where one had never been? Though it would have been nice if they had thought of it.

Back