Toronto 75 on The Esplanade | 99.97m | 29s | Harhay | a—A

It's not a by-law per se, but the Tall Building Guidelines have this to say:

Colonnades are generally discouraged as weather protection devices as they tend to pull retail frontages and associated pedestrian activity away from the street. Where they do prevail, generous proportions and a clear view to the uses behind is key to allow for pedestrian flow and visibility.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-57177.pdf

Yeah, an unfortunate legacy in Toronto is that colonnades at one time were encouraged. Colonnades aren't inherently flawed. They just aren't easy to pull off. Most are narrow, dark failures in the city as they eat up a lot of ground floor real estate.

I think colonnades are the primary reason that Bay Street has been historically unwelcoming to pedestrians and retail, though I think it'll work great at 481 University given the "generous proportions":

urbantoronto-9140-31517.jpg

urbantoronto-9140-31518.jpg

Yeah, an unfortunate legacy in Toronto is that colonnades at one time were encouraged. Colonnades aren't inherently flawed. They just aren't easy to pull off. Most are narrow, dark failures in the city as they eat up a lot of ground floor real estate.

The other real problem is that they are not continuous as any older (non-colonnaded) buildings from Toronto to Church) many of the 'walkways' are actually blocked with restaurants and merchant displays. If there is a continuous and open colonnade on a whole block it works much better and can actually replace the open sidewalk.

The other real problem is that they are not continuous as any older (non-colonnaded) buildings from Toronto to Church) many of the 'walkways' are actually blocked with restaurants and merchant displays. If there is a continuous and open colonnade on a whole block it works much better and can actually replace the open sidewalk.

Don't get me started on A Frame signs. Every intersection around me is clogged with them. As I was hinting, it's the width and height that are seldom done right. And , yeah, it requires the whole block to be built out for it to be effective. Awnings are just so much easier.

I agree. It's a matter of design and proportions. A dark and narrow colonnade with obstructions like signs detracts from the public realm. A spacious, bright and well designed colonnade can enhance the public realm.

I think that once the trees along The Esplanade mature and fill out here you will still get the effect of a colonnade. Part of the sidewalk looks to be covered by a glass canopy and in time branches and leaves will fill in the rest.

Love the podium. Wish the brick would just continue throughout the entire tower. Not a fan of these contrasting colour towers.

An all brick clad tower is long over due for the core! (something like Abington House in NY)...

I can definitely think of a few examples internationally where colonnades have contributed to a positive pedestrian experience (though I admit none in Toronto immediately come to mind). I think it's all about the execution, application, and connectivity.

I share the concern of others on this thread that this proposal may not achieve what we want it to from a public space perspective because of its location and other factors. Plus, ground space retail will probably wind up being an RBC and a Starbucks.

upload_2016-3-31_13-28-7.png

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...n-the-rue-de-rivoli-in-on-picture-id173388946

upload_2016-3-31_13-28-23.png

http://www.mackoo.com/corfou/images/DSCF0194.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-31_13-28-7.png
    upload_2016-3-31_13-28-7.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 808
  • upload_2016-3-31_13-28-23.png
    upload_2016-3-31_13-28-23.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 802

Back