Vaughan 7028 Yonge | 218.75m | 65s | Gupta | Arcadis

212.5m, 179.9m, and 179.5m. There is an extra 2-3m on top of all those heights for parapets.

Drawings look extremely schematic. This would be the tallest building in York Region.

Has Gupta ever commissioned any other firm besides Page + Steele/IBI? Anytime I see a development by him, I know who the architect is going to be, prior to its announcement.

212.5m, 179.9m, and 179.5m. There is an extra 2-3m on top of all those heights for parapets.

Drawings look extremely schematic. This would be the tallest building in York Region.

Tallest in York Region,.... heck, tallest anywhere north of Yonge & Eglinton in MidTown. North York Centre Secondary Plan area has 100m (basically 30-storey) height limit - only GibsonSquare, Emerald Park and tallest at 160m HullmarkCentre has managed to breach.

^there are quite a few buildings in NYCC that are in the 120m range - Gibson Square and Beacon Condos. I believe the Yonge-Sheppard Centre new rental building will be in that range as well.

There just isn't a lot of development in NYCC right now that can break that limit, the rate of growth has slowed considerably compared to last decade.

Tallest in York Region,.... heck, tallest anywhere north of Yonge & Eglinton in MidTown. North York Centre Secondary Plan area has 100m (basically 30-storey) height limit - only GibsonSquare, Emerald Park and tallest at 160m HullmarkCentre has managed to breach.

Yeah when Etobicoke, Mississauga, and Vaughan are building 200+ structures, maybe it's time The City with Heart rethinks its height limits:)

^there are quite a few buildings in NYCC that are in the 120m range - Gibson Square and Beacon Condos. I believe the Yonge-Sheppard Centre new rental building will be in that range as well.

There just isn't a lot of development in NYCC right now that can break that limit, the rate of growth has slowed considerably compared to last decade.

Since City Planning lost North York Centre Secondary Plan's 100m height limit to GibsonSquare about 10 years ago,.... it's only possible for development to penetrate that 100m & 4.5 FSI at key intersections with subway station and they are charged higher Development / Section37 Community Benefit rates for that segment over 100m & up to max of 6.0 FSI. So far, tallest existing tower in North York Centre Secondary Plan Area is North Tower of Hullmark Centre at about 160m; Menkes' proposed 4800 Yonge will try to match that height.

These Gupta towers are at over 200m

Last edited:
Why would anyone bother buying from a developer that recently pulled the plug on their Icona development in Vaughan? I'm guessing this doesn't break ground either. What kind of deposit do people give when putting down a down payment on a development such as this?

Why would anyone bother buying from a developer that recently pulled the plug on their Icona development in Vaughan? I'm guessing this doesn't break ground either. What kind of deposit do people give when putting down a down payment on a development such as this?
Makes me wonder how Liberty is going to fare when they launch their next condo as well.

Makes me wonder how Liberty is going to fare when they launch their next condo as well.

We're going to find out very soon; especially since it's right next door.

As for this project.... this was inevitable. This is what happens when you implement an intensification plan, announce a major enabling infrastructure project, update all the planning documents accordingly, and then throw the project into limbo. It was just a matter of time until mega-condo proposals started coming to this corridor, subway or no subway.

(That said - a 14.3FSI? What on earth are they even thinking about? That's pretty off the charts, even if there was rapid transit at the front door.)

I don't see much detail around for it (and I don't see 7208 Yonge on PlanIT either, actually?) but Mizrahi also bought 100 Steeles Avenue West which, for those familiar with the area, is the primarily Asian plaza beside the church, directly across from Canadian Tire. More tall towers and something like 1M square feet of total space.

There will be more. And they'll probably have cars.

Toronto can maybe try playing its "Trump card" but I don't know how much power they'll have unless there are legit servicing issues with these projects. Vaughan's OP - which jacks up the densities here - is still before the OMB (well, the LPAT) and intensification near Yonge Street is very much in line with provincial policy, which is all the LPAT is supposed to care about. Interesting times ahead.

We're going to find out very soon; especially since it's right next door.

As for this project.... this was inevitable. This is what happens when you implement an intensification plan, announce a major enabling infrastructure project, update all the planning documents accordingly, and then throw the project into limbo. It was just a matter of time until mega-condo proposals started coming to this corridor, subway or no subway.

I don't see much detail around for it (and I don't see 7208 Yonge on PlanIT either, actually?) but Mizrahi also bought 100 Steeles Avenue West which, for those familiar with the area, is the primarily Asian plaza beside the church, directly across from Canadian Tire. More tall towers and something like 1M square feet of total space.

There will be more. And they'll probably have cars.

Toronto can maybe try playing its "Trump card" but I don't know how much power they'll have unless there are legit servicing issues with these projects. Vaughan's OP - which jacks up the densities here - is still before the OMB (well, the LPAT) and intensification near Yonge Street is very much in line with provincial policy, which is all the LPAT is supposed to care about. Interesting times ahead.
It is on PlanIt, and the address is 7028 Yonge, right on the corner of Yonge-Steeles.

Ah, I see it - the default view was only showing subdivisions.
Don't see any info for the Mizrahi proposal yet but it'll be coming, and it won't be small either.

Toronto's Trump card was powerful enough to stop Shoppes on Steeles (&404) redevelopment proposal on Markham/York Region's north side of Steeles - since it's on their boarder they'll get all the tax revenue while Toronto deals with most of the congestion & downstream servicing issues.

Beside the water/sewage servicing issue, the City will likely insist on large office component at this corner with subway station as they would at Yonge&Sheppard, NorthYorkCentre Station, Yonge&Finch.

Here, on the Toronto side south of Steeles, Yonge Street is relatively low density and will remain so for the foresee-able future. The Yonge Street North Secondary Plan (Drewry/Cummer to Steeles) - basically a carbon copy of North York Centre Secondary Plan - has never been put forward to City Council, it's just sitting in City Planning's back pocket in case if City were to ever loose one of those cases along Yonge north at OMB.

This project & Vaughan/YorkRegion's response to it could become the poster-boy for why Yonge Subway line should NOT be extended north of Finch.

Yes, interesting times ahead,..... but those buying pre-sale here, will basically be handing over their deposit money as 5-10 years interest free loan for the developer.

Toronto's Trump card was powerful enough to stop Shoppes on Steeles (&404) redevelopment proposal on Markham/York Region's north side of Steeles - since it's on their boarder they'll get all the tax revenue while Toronto deals with most of the congestion & downstream servicing issues.

Just like they do now, when people from Richmond Hill drive down Yonge Street to Finch Station.

But you have to draw a border somewhere and these are the kinds of issues that crop up; York Region isn't going to stop intensification (which is the core of provincial planning policy) because some of the people moving in will use Toronto's infrastructure. I know they tried it at Don Mills but Toronto won't be able to veto every project that comes up along Steeles.

The good news is the PC's are doing a review of regional governance so maybe they'll come up with a better plan for dealing with funding and other issues.

I think an office is a decent idea and I think the density being asked for here is insane anyway (I mean, it's literally triple the approved FSI, I believe) but the City of Toronto is not going to be able to go to the LPAT and stop every York Region condo project south of Highway 7 because it'll affect them too. (I mean, you could make the same argument for the Promenade redevelopment. It's not right at Steeles but a lot of people will take buses to Finch Station and ride Toronto's subway and all the pipes are connected anyway...)

Here, on the Toronto side south of Steeles, Yonge Street is relatively low density and will remain so for the foresee-able future.

Except the massive M2M project is already on sale at Cummer and there's at least 2 more condo projects along the east side between Cummer and Steeles. These developments will keep coming.[

The Yonge Street North Secondary Plan (Drewry/Cummer to Steeles) - basically a carbon copy of North York Centre Secondary Plan - has never been put forward to City Council, it's just sitting in City Planning's back pocket in case if City were to ever loose one of those cases along Yonge north at OMB.

Indeed, this is so. But Vaughan and Markham already put their secondary plans in place.
My guess is that if someone bought that old plaza at the southeast corner of Yonge/Steeles and proposed something similar, it's debatable how much it would help the City at an LPAT hearing that they haven't approved high density there. It'd be easy as pie for a developer to argue that their high density development on a prime corridor with great transit access (hundreds of buses an hour!) is wonderful and the city's refusal is out of sync with provincial policy (which is all the LPAT is supposed to care about); especially once YR has established the precedent.

We're dealing in hypotheticals but it seems obvious this corridor is not at all in stable, low-rise context, either from Finch to Steeles or going along Steeles and up towards Highway 7.

Yes, interesting times ahead,..... but those buying pre-sale here, will basically be handing over their deposit money as 5-10 years interest free loan for the developer.

That does make for an interesting side story :)
Mizrahi has a better reputation so we'll see how long before their plans are on the table. My impression was they were also in the 50-storey range though I must say that would strike me as excessive, even without this project going up next door. But it's still clear which way the winds are blowing, IMHO.
I'm really not sure you can hold back the tide, subway or no subway.

Last edited:

Back