Niagara Falls 6609 Stanley Avenue | 254m | 72s | Hariri Pontarini

I am not that familiar with Niagara Falls but is this area even considered "downtown"? I always had the impression that there are no residents or locals anywhere near this area and that there is a true "downtown" someplace else, albeit in the form of a sad main street that tourists never see.
This area strikes me as nothing more than a tourist spot and resort area and not a place where anyone would want to reside (and it has no amenities for any 'residents'. Just overpriced versions of chain restaurants catering to people who are in town for a day.)

I suspect that if this gets built, the "condos" will be all investor bought (mostly foreign) and yes, airbnb'ed out every night. No one is going to "live' here.

signed,
Looking for some education

This site is right in the "tourist gateway" if you're coming in from Dunn St. A lot of low-density type housing with some plazas is essentially the fabric of Dunn St before reaching Stanley Ave. The actual downtown is about 4KM north, and yes, it is a desolate ghost town.

However, there are a few nice restaurants that have added a slight bit more life to the downtown (cannot emphasis "few" enough).

From my understanding, Jeremia Rudan's main business operation is being the owner of the Copacabana Brazilian Steakhouse restaurant chain. His father (who's passed away) was the owner of nightclubs, restaurants, and bars in the Niagara area along with a golf course.

Also from this old article:

One property in Niagara Falls that has been the subject of discussion and news stories since April 2000 is an unfinished structure on Stanley Avenue, at Dunn Street, close to the tourism district.

Back then, the city approved a plan by Rudan Holdings Ltd. for the 30-storey Crown Plaza hotel. The hotel was to have 300 rooms along with a convention centre, restaurants, stores and underground parking.

The economic situation changed following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and a drop in tourism.

Construction was stopped in 2004. The stoppage left a two-level concrete foundation with a three-level underground parking garage. Rudan Holdings put the property up for sale in 2011.

This building has been approved by Niagara Falls. So it will be built.
That's not really a given based on approval alone. Many buildings get approved and then aren't built. Sometimes as an upzoning exercise, sometimes for other reasons.

Ironically, this site has a partially constructed 30 storey tower on it that was approved almost 20 years ago. Approval is a long ways from getting shovels in the ground. What has happened in Toronto over the past decade with approved designs is both incredible and unususal. Still, the success rate peters out the larger and taller the development. This is not a hurdle for the tallest tower outside of Toronto. Niagara Falls is very pro development and there's no real population around this tower to contest it.

If y'all were already skeptical I think I'd be even more so now.

Niagara's economy is almost entirely tourist based and that was the justification for building a hotel like this. With covid keeping borders shut, I doubt this will be built any time soon, if ever.

Shame too cuz it's a great place for a building like this.

Objectively speaking on the tourism and hospitality industry in Niagara Falls, then the the pandemic impact will be felt for the immediate 1-2 years. While the recovery will take a gradual rebound following that. So this will affect other recent ambitious projects in NF as well in the pipeline like the Loretto proposal.

While focusing on the proponent here, Jeremia Rudan, will face a double-whammy as his primary business of the Copacabana restaurant chain is taking a heavy hit. The odds of him following through with developing this were slim anyways. Remember the current stump on site here has been left this way since 2004, and they last put it up for sale in 2011.

I suspect a combination of Covid fears and complaints from anti-urbanization residents will hurt this project

I suspect a combination of Covid fears and complaints from anti-urbanization residents will hurt this project
As long as the border remains closed I cant see them going ahead with this. Unless it shifts to almost all residential, in which case I'd think they'd try and start asap given the market rn

A project this size wouldn’t worry about short term border closures - they would worry where the tourism market is in 3-4 years when the building is actually complete. And no-one really knows the answer to that one.

Back