Toronto 66 Broadway Avenue | 65.22m | 22s | Beaux Properties | CS&P

bullring

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this.

66 Broadway is a terrible apartment building. We have undrinkable water in our kicthen taps. When we told the property managers of this, we were told to drink the water out of the bathroom (the water is clean there). The elevators are constantly down, currently one has been down for about a month and a half now, with no sign in the new future of being fixed. We pay $1500 a month in rent, that is quite a bit to pay for such crappy service.

I'm not sure if they are tearing this craphole down to put up a condo or something, there is a sign in the back that indicates this might be the case.

This thread will probably be flamed or moved or whatever, but where do renters rant about crappy buildings? I went to myhood and the 3 reviews there semmed to be shill-tastic. One guy mentioned how the units are soundproof. Wow, soundproof? Funny, I can hear the guy above me pissing and the couple below me fighting/having sex.

For about $75 more a month we are going to move to the Verve and walk to work. And be able to drink the water.

god bless.

My building is horrible as well. We have 3 elevators. One has been out of service since October, and another one is always being used for people moving in and out of the building, and also doesn't work properly. The third one gets stuck all the time.

The ventilation in the hallways is ice cold, because it's just straight air from outside that isn't being heated in the winter or cooled in the summer.

All this and more for $1300/month.

Not sure where to put this.

66 Broadway is a terrible apartment building. We have undrinkable water in our kicthen taps. When we told the property managers of this, we were told to drink the water out of the bathroom (the water is clean there). The elevators are constantly down, currently one has been down for about a month and a half now, with no sign in the new future of being fixed. We pay $1500 a month in rent, that is quite a bit to pay for such crappy service.

I'm not sure if they are tearing this craphole down to put up a condo or something, there is a sign in the back that indicates this might be the case.

This thread will probably be flamed or moved or whatever, but where do renters rant about crappy buildings? I went to myhood and the 3 reviews there semmed to be shill-tastic. One guy mentioned how the units are soundproof. Wow, soundproof? Funny, I can hear the guy above me pissing and the couple below me fighting/having sex.

For about $75 more a month we are going to move to the Verve and walk to work. And be able to drink the water.

god bless.

Hey bullring,

I also live in 66 Broadway, but I'm not quite as disenchanted as you. Yeah, the elevators blow, no argument there. I take the stairs whenever I can, but it's annoying the frequency with which they break down.

The water is also an issue, although I don't know if "undrinkable" is accurate. There is discoloration in the tap water from the kitchen, but it is not unsafe to drink. Or at least I haven't sprouted a 3rd arm...yet.

I've experienced no issues with soundproofing. The people above me fight loudly and constantly, but I can really only hear them through the old intercom space.

As for the potential condo development, if memory serves it will be a new development going in to the north of us, either north of the pool or replacing it. It appears that 66 Broadway will remain, whether as rentals or converted to condos I can't say.

However, for the price we do get a rather absurd amount of space (2 br/1.5 bath, 900+ sq ft) for Toronto. Not to mention kick ass balconies.

Where/what is the Verve you mention? I assume it's not that crappy band from the 90s.

I lived at 66 Broadway for a few years, until a few years ago. I didn't find it bad at all (then). Bonus: the views from the rooftop are amazing!

I lived at 66 Broadway for a few years, until a few years ago. I didn't find it bad at all (then). Bonus: the views from the rooftop are amazing!

Yes, I forgot that! A total bonus. I only wish there was a larger sitting area where you could sit with a six pack and some friends. Of course beer + 25 story drop...

66 Broadway

I came across these posts and I just had to put my 2 cents in. I have lived at 66 Broadway for 2 years and I will agree with the original poster.. this is a terrible building and the people running it are useless!

I also have orangey water coming out of the kitchen sink and I was also told to use the bathroom sink water!? Really? Yeah, I drank the orangey water a few times and haven't sprouted a third arm either but that's not the point!

The superintendant is terrible! He will never go out of his way to help you, in fact, he will try to NOT help you. I could give you loads of examples, just ask.

There is an awful mural of a castle going up each floor, it is half finished and looks as if grade school kids did it. There is goats, unicorns, half castles... whatever it is, its embarrassing when you have guests over. Until they see your actual suite they will think you are living in subsidized housing. Yeah, really it is that bad.

As for the elevators, Peaceful Pat suggests we take the stairs. Yeah, sounds great. Sure, I'll pay 1500 bucks a month to walk down the stairs. That's fine if you live on the 5th floor or down. But once again, when you are paying good money to live somewhere you should not have to "take the stairs" or "drink the orange water" should you?? I would hope not.

Sound proof walls? I finally got to get some sleep last night after my neighbours were done playing Rock Band. I can even tell you what songs they were singing. Oh, and the neighbours on the other side of us, we think they are building a time machine in their apartment.

Almost daily I hear people complaining in the elevators about the building itself and the staff. No one stays in this building for long. In fact, I just gave my notice as it's getting worse and worse. Trust me on this, if you are considering this building, stop now! You can find much nicer places for the same price... some of these places might even have wonderful rooftop views that aren't a 2 foot wide rickety wooden bridge.

K. FEDUP

Last edited:
Thank you all for your construction comments above. As a conscientious multi-residential landlord we are always striving to improve and will be implementing many of the changes that were discussed above shortly in an ongoing effort to improve the quality of the building.

To kfedup- assuming you weren't in gross arrears on your rent and were a tenant in good standing we are sad to see you leave and wish you great enjoyment in your new residence. If the solid plaster walls of 66 Broadway were an issue for you I suspect the thinner divider drywall in the newer towers will be an even greater one so set your expectations low.

To others- we strongly believe that Yonge and Eglinton and 66 Broadway in particular has been and will continue to be a prime address for apartment living in Toronto for many years to come. Please consider us on your next apartment hunt.

Respectfully,

99/66

Thank you all for your construction comments above. As a conscientious multi-residential landlord we are always striving to improve and will be implementing many of the changes that were discussed above shortly in an ongoing effort to improve the quality of the building.

To kfedup- assuming you weren't in gross arrears on your rent and were a tenant in good standing we are sad to see you leave and wish you great enjoyment in your new residence. If the solid plaster walls of 66 Broadway were an issue for you I suspect the thinner divider drywall in the newer towers will be an even greater one so set your expectations low.

To others- we strongly believe that Yonge and Eglinton and 66 Broadway in particular has been and will continue to be a prime address for apartment living in Toronto for many years to come. Please consider us on your next apartment hunt.

Respectfully,

99/66

By any chance do you have any information regarding the proposed rental building behind this property to the North? 99 Erskine

Respectfully,

99/66

Hello, I have always been a good standing tennant. I have also lived in other apartment buildings where I did not hear the people beside me talking in the shower.

I don't know how on earth you could call 66 Broadway a PRIME address? Yes, the location is good but the place is in SERIOUS need of upgrades. The lobby looks like my great grandmothers house and can you PLEASE PLEASE explain the dreadfully embarrassing mural??? Also, why is nothing ever done about the elevator on the far right that is broken monthly?? The entire grounds are covered in dog crap because there is no where for people to put it... management removed the garbage bags from the front door. This also explains why the front door area is used a a garbage dump by many tennants. I don't understand how you are telling people that this is a great place to consider. You don't even bother to respond to the yellow water, outdated look and rude staff??? I think this is proof that you realize these things and won't do anything about them. I understand that you say you are going to be addressing some of the mentioned issues... but which ones??? And why has it taken years and years??? In the 2 years I have been in the building I have seen it get worse and worse. Not a single improvement. You can't even bother to have the sh*t mural finished.

But yes, give 66 Broadway a try if you wish! Enjoy the embarrassing decor, the filthy grounds and entrance way, the yellow tap water, broken elevator, rude staff, and rickety suites (peeling cabinets, scuffed floors). If you do dare rent here, don't get a suite near the garbage shoots!! Management removed the flaps from many of them so the first part of the halls smell like hot garbage. MMMMMMmmmmm

Kfedup.. still.

Last edited:
http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Information/246696.html

2009 Rent Increase Guideline

The guideline was designed to take into account increases in landlords’ building maintenance and operating costs in order to protect tenant safety and health.

Well, if this rent increase is designed to protect my safety, I fully could understand that.

But to just get a letter, telling me the rent is going up, with no reason as to where that money is going, when I can't even DRINK THE WATER, is nothing more than a cash grab.

Maybe use some of the rent increase funds to fix the giant hole in the roof in the front lobby? Maybe put some new carpeting down in the halls? Maybe address the yellow water in the taps?

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy.

This building has a great location.

66 BROADWAY AVE
Ward 25 - North York District

►View All Properties

An application to permit a two-storey, 18 unit addition to the existing 20 storey, 356 unit rental building for a total of 22 storeys and 374 units, and to permit a new four-storey townhouse block comprised of 20 stacked townhouse units fronting Broadway Avenue. Associated Zoning By-law Amendment Application No. 16 270233 NNY 25 OZ.

Architect is CS&P:
upload_2016-12-29_12-51-27.png

upload_2016-12-29_12-52-9.png

upload_2016-12-29_12-53-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-29_12-51-27.png
    upload_2016-12-29_12-51-27.png
    877.4 KB · Views: 2,151
  • upload_2016-12-29_12-52-9.png
    upload_2016-12-29_12-52-9.png
    727 KB · Views: 2,010
  • upload_2016-12-29_12-53-3.png
    upload_2016-12-29_12-53-3.png
    741.1 KB · Views: 1,994
Interesting that they are going to put serious money into this building. Not often do we see two-storey extensions to tower-in-the-park buildings.

Back