Toronto 64 Prince Arthur | 46.1m | 13s | Forgestone | RAW Design

I personally don't think this tower works here either. If it was 50+ stories and on waterfront or in the south core then yes but the current proposal doesn't relate to the context around it. For this site something similar to the X Condos (but smaller scale) would work aesthetically.

This tower's design is suggested by the sculpture in Taddle Creek Park.

cNBVjobxIC.jpeg

This tower's design is suggested by the sculpture in Taddle Creek Park.

cNBVjobxIC.jpeg

Actually the tower’s design is suggested by a developer’s marching orders of how much density can you cram into a small site in a mid rise neighbourhood surrounded by single family homes and duplexes to justify what is likely a sky high land cost.

Not a water feature in a high value park that will be blanketed in shadows.

Last edited:
Actually the tower’s design is suggested by a developer’s marching orders of how much density can you cram into a small site in a mid rise neighbourhood surrounded by single family homes and duplexes to justify what is likely a sky high land cost.

Not a water feature in a high value park that will be blanketed in shadows.

Actually, this application is making its way through the planning process in the same manner that every application makes its way through the planning process. And we don't know the height at which this has been approved because it has not been approved.

And, actually, there's neither a single single family home nor a single duplex on the street this site fronts, and this site is directly adjacent to another high rise, which, astonishingly, did not ruin the neighbourhood.

I really do think we've covered all this before.

I'm not anti density but this twisting glass tower is really out of place in that site. This is more of an aesthetics concern than anything. I don't care about offending the houses to the north and while we're at it high rises (especially rental towers) can indeed 'ruin' a neighbourhood and disrupt middle class vibe, which I'm also okay with. I'd just like to see more emphasis on architectural continuity, both in terms of design and height.

This is how Uno Prii, whose work still remains some of the most important in defining the Annex, felt about architecture:

"I could see apartment buildings as giant sculptures. I thought people would remember these buildings...I got tired, eventually, of these straight boxes. I thought, let's have a little fun."

http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/10/the_toronto_of_architect_uno_prii/

The city needs more projects like this. Why more of the same? Nearby residents should be thrilled that they could have some exciting architecture nearby, instead of something cookie cutter. Development is going to take place no matter what, why not get on board for something special?

The city needs more projects like this. Why more of the same? Nearby residents should be thrilled that they could have some exciting architecture nearby, instead of something cookie cutter. Development is going to take place no matter what, why not get on board for something special?

Exciting architecture is contextual. It adapts to the surroundings. In this node the surroundings are predominantly single family homes that have been repurposed as multiplexes, offices, etc and low rise buildings. I’m sure this competent NYC architectual firm is capable of producing something that fits right in as opposed to something that stands out, obstructs, shadows and sets a dangerous precedent for literally a wall of tall buildings hovering over a quiet low rise neighbourhood.

Exciting architecture is contextual. It adapts to the surroundings. In this node the surroundings are predominantly single family homes that have been repurposed as multiplexes, offices, etc and low rise buildings. I’m sure this competent NYC architectual firm is capable of producing something that fits right in as opposed to something that stands out, obstructs, shadows and sets a dangerous precedent for literally a wall of tall buildings hovering over a quiet low rise neighbourhood.

Exciting architecture can also challenge the contextual and not be enslaved by it. And what precedent? The park has already been shadowed by the slab next door, and this "quiet low rise neighbourhood" is at the border of a fast growing high density core. I'd say the time for change is at hand.

AoD

I'm not anti density but this twisting glass tower is really out of place in that site. This is more of an aesthetics concern than anything. I don't care about offending the houses to the north and while we're at it high rises (especially rental towers) can indeed 'ruin' a neighbourhood and disrupt middle class vibe, which I'm also okay with. I'd just like to see more emphasis on architectural continuity, both in terms of design and height.

That as a neo-NIMBY comment. Since NIMBYism has been discredited you are starting to repurpose progressive arguments: "I'm not anti-density but...it's out of place... offending houses to the north...rental towers can indeed ruin a neighbourhood and disrupt the middle class...". But you're "OK" with all that, you just want more of the same design and height.

I'd like another Uno Prii level effort!

I think I really like this condo/apartment. I believe it fits in beautifully. I would love to have it as my neighbour.

That as a neo-NIMBY comment. Since NIMBYism has been discredited you are starting to repurpose progressive arguments: "I'm not anti-density but...it's out of place... offending houses to the north...rental towers can indeed ruin a neighbourhood and disrupt the middle class...". But you're "OK" with all that, you just want more of the same design and height.

I'd like another Uno Prii level effort!

I mean not that any of this matters, but since you've embarrassingly brought the level of discussion down to shallow 3rd graders name calling so quick: No, I don't live there. I don't have a house. I don't have a backyard. I don't own any property that can lose value. Some of us just might opinions about things even though the outcome does not directly impact us. Surprise.

Your post was so shallow, I initially ignored it.

Back