Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

I think some people fail to realize that a private forum is not a democracy. As for UT being pro-development, of course it is! That's the whole point of reading the news articles and searching the databases. As for the "greater good" for the people of Toronto, one must realize that the development industry is a huge part of our economy, it produces well-paying jobs, and has a massive trickle down effect for many other industries. To claim that people on here don't know much about the process is also presumptuous.

Think about where you live right now. At some point in history someone was opposed to your place being built. Nothing stays the same here. We should be happy to live in a place that's growing and has a building boom.

Can you add to the system in a positive way? Of course you can! Get involved, be active. Community Consultations often bring about better developments. Whining on a forum does very little and it's difficult to take those members seriously.

ProjectEnd: The reason why many members like myself didn't contribute to this forum for years, is not because we had nothing to say or are clueless about the industry, it's because we didn't want to get "eaten alive" by members like you who frequently bullied and made dogmatic comments to stifle others. The UT Forums appear to be well managed and moderated very well nowadays and people with other voices maybe feel more confident to share their opinions without fear that the internet is a free-for-all absent from manners.

I did not and do not 'bully.' I simply expect that if one is going to voice one's opinion on this forum (or any other for that matter), it is incumbent that the position be articulated in a manner that continues the high level of discourse that has been one of the defining hallmarks of this platform for more than a decade. To me, a bully is someone who attacks a member for something other than the substance of their post(s). I do not do that, nor do I condone it.

I however, start to lose patience with those who pad post counts with useless fluff (eg. gee wiz, that's a kool building), attack the development system in Ontario with baseless and incorrect statements (eg. the OMB is destroying our city; developers run the city, etc.) or claim that UT is itself an industry mouthpiece. If any of that is 'bullying' or 'dogmatic' then we simply have different definitions of those terms. I have always welcomed new members, especially those who take the time to write longer, more considered posts or take photos, write front-page stories and so forth. Conversely, I have little time for newcomers who, after contributing little, expect the same respect and deference that those of use who have built this site over the last decade have earned.

I think it's your tone more than anything. Coming across that because you are a senior member who 'deserves' respect is off-putting and still proves that if you are called-out, then you tend to get itchy trigger-fingers by firing off immediate and condescending responses that's all (this response included). Many new and junior members do contribute worthy comments and we hope that we aren't disrespected because we are new. I'm not sure you are getting it.

I think it's your tone more than anything. Coming across that because you are a senior member who 'deserves' respect is off-putting and still proves that if you are called-out, then you tend to get itchy trigger-fingers by firing off immediate and condescending responses that's all (this response included). Many new and junior members do contribute worthy comments and we hope that we aren't disrespected because we are new. I'm not sure you are getting it.

That's exactly what my post stated, explicitly in fact.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know the bay sizes for this building? 4.5m? 5m?

(I'd look at the drawings submitted to the city but they are low-res and not to scale.)

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm working on a design for school that is similar in a few ways, and was trying to proportionally work out what bay size would be appropriate. Aiming for ~4m wide units (will end up being more like 3.7) and ~8m wide larger units.

Last edited:
First sign of the glazing. Honestly, it looks pretty good in person though I'm not completely sold on the black grills & grey spandrel combo.
IMG_20140325_165010.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140325_165010.jpg
    IMG_20140325_165010.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,112
Last edited:
Saw that earlier today as well. I too enjoy the minimal mullions and maximized glazing (which seems to be of above-average quality) but am equally confused by the grey slab-fronting spandrel (why not black?).

I was hoping it would be the similar capless curtain wall system used at Fashion House. It would have look so much sleeker just like in the renderings.

The balconies look so much deeper on the Sterwart Street building. I'm hoping they don't cheap out on that side, just like what Freed did at Fashion House.

nice! thanks for the continued screens urbandreamer. looks like they're making awesome progress. do you think they'll make it for the jan 2015 occupancy date?

Back