Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

I'm not sure that the point of a design like this is to come off as "high-end" or flashy. That said, it certainly doesn't look like a motel, and it's certainly designed by one of Canada's best architecture firms.

Pic taken from Puente de luz bridge Oct 6, 2014.

Glimpse of the rooftop.

JQKNTJh.jpg

Attachments

• JQKNTJh.jpg
    JQKNTJh.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,690
This evening:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8759.JPG
    IMG_8759.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,441
  • IMG_8760.JPG
    IMG_8760.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_8761.JPG
    IMG_8761.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,445
  • IMG_8763.JPG
    IMG_8763.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,448
  • IMG_8764.JPG
    IMG_8764.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 1,442
  • IMG_8765.JPG
    IMG_8765.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,447
IMG_5087.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,367
I love the cables, poles etc that define Toronto. Makes the city uniquely cool.

Yeah, you know, I appreciate your frankness there. I can see that--I lived in Boston for the past few years, and in most of its downtown the urban realm is extremely meticulous: almost all hydro is buried, light posts are largely without residue and ads, and roads and sidewalks are very well maintained.

On the other hand, the city sometimes feels too chic, and it doesn't have that grit. When I came back to Toronto, I really, really noticed that Toronto is a bit seedier, a bit rough around the edges. Mentioning this to others, they said what you've said: yes, and that's exactly what I like about it.

I think I get that, and I think before I moved to Boston I liked it, too.

I was originally very supportive of this development, but now, after seeing the actual buidling, I feel that the height is oppressive for this neighbourhood. I can see how further developments might help it fit in, but that might also mean losing a lot of King Street's history and low-rise character, particularly east of the development. (I mean, some of this seems inevitable, anyway, considering the height of the condos west of Bathurst, but man oh man, everything is constantly changing, isn't it?)

Back