Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

Today:

CWdGxSH.jpg

0kyAT2R.jpg

ZFtk9pQ.jpg

4UPmPaZ.jpg

While the building is coming together very nicely, I still have some reservations for the King Street façade.
With the very shallow balcony setbacks on King, I have a feeling that the design will get lost once the balcony railings gets installed. The railings in the renderings looks frameless and almost invisible which is definitely not the case when it's completed. Also once residents move in and window coverings are installed, there is going to be a lot going on which will further distract the design of the building. This is where tinted glass should have been used to tone down the visual pollution of the interiors.

Something interesting I noticed is that walking west on King and seeing the side jagged profiles of the King and Stewart street buildings coming together, like a set of teeth taking a chomp.

From two days ago:

P1410194.jpg

P1410196.jpg

Attachments

• P1410194.jpg
    P1410194.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,422
  • P1410196.jpg
    P1410196.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,452
If the design of this building where any less eye-catching, I would say that this building is a half dozen floors too tall for its surrounding context. That said, the design itself is enhanced by its repetition on each floor. I am really looking forward to the completion of this building.

It might be too tall. As a 15 storey point tower, it wouldn't be a big deal. It's a landmark by height but designed like streetscape infill, which means it doesn't fit in well with a streetscape of 3-7 storeys.

Last edited:
Yup, it really looms over King Street. Many local residents were concerned about that before the project even got under way - as was the councillor. But Freed visited the OMB twice and got what he wanted.

That said, the Stewart portion looks cool.

So why when walking by do I always feel like this thing is only 7-10 storeys? It's just not 'oppressive' however you spin that term.

Photos are misleading, and oppressive is a really strong word. When you're actually walking on King Street you don't notice anything above the first few storeys. Even looking up, it feels like a maximum 8.

Back