Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

Love this. I hope more developers start looking at S&P (instead of aA, for example) as the go-to firm for new Condos in Toronto. Maybe this project and the River City project will be the right catalyst to push more innovative contemporary design in this city?

I like aA, but there's definitely a flare to S+P that aA just doesn't have. Their design for the Montreal Symphony is - as the kids would say - sick.

I like aA, but there's definitely a flare to S+P that aA just doesn't have. Their design for the Montreal Symphony is - as the kids would say - sick.

...Thought that was Diamond & Schmitt? ... Oh wait i see S+P have a proposal on their site.

Last edited:
That's the old Metabolist school. Prefab at that level didn't turn out to be as cheap or effecient as they would hope though - which is why you don't even see much works in that style even in Japan where you'd think it would work.

AoD

And of course, there's the whole concept vs reality of Safdie's Habitat in Montreal, which in the end only works as a luxury-apartment conceit...

For anyone who loves this project, you'd also like the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo. :) Also by S+P.

1perimeter.jpg

Ah yes :) That one too. Such a great firm, and nice to see them doing some work in Toronto (though not nearly enough).

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 1M5

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 10 214311 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jul 7, 2010

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: Proposal to demolish existing non res buildign on the site and redevelop the lands for a new mixed use building complete with 314 residential dwelling units, 296 parking spaces below grade of which 166 are for comercial parking puroposes. Ground floor retail adjacent to King St w and ground and second floor commercial (restaurant) uses are proposed. Street frontage in Stewart St to contain residential units only . These are Commercial at grade and residential condominium. Two buildings will be built (11 storey's and 12 storey's).

When it comes to Habitat-style unit construction in Toronto, another early oft-overlooked example is the Yorkdale Holiday Inn...

When it comes to Habitat-style unit construction in Toronto, another early oft-overlooked example is the Yorkdale Holiday Inn...

not surprising that it is overlooked, as it is now suffering from a double ignominy: not only being hopelessly entombed in EIFS, but in the most hideous two-tone palette: "orangey beige", and "kucky khaki" green. stellar job, Holiday Inn!

28b1e498.png

2ea5239a.png

Last edited:
Though it could be worse, i.e. it's still recognizable, and it's still "modern" (no gross false-classical details IOW). Colour aside, it's actually one of the less obtrusive hostelry EIFSifications out there--and you can still spot the horizontal "unit patterns" on the party walls.

Its being overlooked has more to do with its generically being a highrise 70s Holiday Inn next to the 401.

Though it could be worse, i.e. it's still recognizable, and it's still "modern" (no gross false-classical details IOW). Colour aside, it's actually one of the less obtrusive hostelry EIFSifications out there--and you can still spot the horizontal "unit patterns" on the party walls.

Its being overlooked has more to do with its generically being a highrise 70s Holiday Inn next to the 401.

true....i don't remember what it looked like initially, (concrete i assume?) but prior to its present sherbert/khaki phase it was completely monochromatic, having been painted chocolate brown. it was kind of odd, but strangely ok....

Halted?

I heard rumbling that this project is on the skids. Can anyone with more inside sources confirm?

went to the sales center yesterday, and it def didn't feel halted. it was busy with what looked like end-user type purchasers and some investor types and the sales agent working claimed they sold 15 units in the past 20 days.
there were also lots of units marked as sold on the board. i liked the project. Although there were a lot of "affordable" small 1 bed style units there were still lots of very cool open concept big units (900-2500 sqft) and the option to combine smaller units.
S+P's architecture will be a welcome change to the neighbourhood.

I heard rumbling that this project is on the skids. Can anyone with more inside sources confirm?

Halted? No. But it was the subject of a couple of very tense community meetings. I suspect this project will be the first one that Freed will bring to the OMB because it has a big chance of being rejected by the C of A.

Back