Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

I'm not really sure what to make of the architecture. I generally like the multi-box kind of look, but that only seems to work (for me) when the boxes are of varying sizes. These all appear to be the exact same size.

Ready at the end of 2011.....yea right. I love the way the guys at the top of these organizations seem to lie the most.

Recent pic

4450203833_b1f3bd1910_b.jpg

The sales centre is very chic/cool, but the model suite left much to be desired in terms of fit/finishes for the price point and while there are certain aspects of this design that I like, for the most part, it really is just a bunch of cubes and will look quite monolithic. Best units are definitely at the rear of the building where there's a nice courtyard and the units are far more varied.

Love this. I hope more developers start looking at S&P (instead of aA, for example) as the go-to firm for new Condos in Toronto. Maybe this project and the River City project will be the right catalyst to push more innovative contemporary design in this city?

That's the old Metabolist school. Prefab at that level didn't turn out to be as cheap or effecient as they would hope though - which is why you don't even see much works in that style even in Japan where you'd think it would work.

AoD

I love the design of this building.
My only concern is that the King Street building is really close to the Stewart Street buiding, causing a very narrow and deep canyon of a courtyard.

I'm curious about the story about the old houses on Stewart Street that held out to this development.

Back