Toronto 619 Yonge | 237.99m | 70s | YI Developments | Core Architects

The tower has lots of potential! It's the podium that is unforgivable IMO. But we'll give them time... I'm assuming what we see above is just one design step in an iterative process.

Definitely my view as well- the tower looks fairly interesting, but the podium is rather bland and suburban for a location like this.

^Not necessarily precast. Ideally brick or zinc panels. But precast can look fantastic--take a look at some of those BIG projects. What if each panel was precast tinted white then coated in a glossy white? Precast is only a dirty word in this town because it's been associated with cheap ugly architecture.

Last edited:
That said, P+S isn't exactly cutting edge. - and there are enough examples of their application of precast at Pinnacle to give one second thoughts.

AoD

From Google Streetview:

ScreenShot017.jpg

Oh my. That was where The Domino Klub used to be. It was a very popular night club for the "club kids" to hang out. Mark Holmes from Paltinum Blonde used to hang out there. :) Klub Domino used to be further up Yonge street where the Hard Rock Cafe is now.

Toronto-Club-Kids-13-970x606.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto-Club-Kids-13-970x606.jpg
    Toronto-Club-Kids-13-970x606.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,143
I think Komrads, the gay dance club, was there, on the second floor, in the 1980s. Wasn't the Gasworks south on Yonge & Dundonald? (before that too became another gay dance club) Yonge Street was my stomping grounds before Church Street became "The Gay Ghetto". I wish there was some kind of record (or video) of all the gay clubs in that area from the 1980s & 1990s. It won't be long before that whole strip is unrecognizable and its history long forgotten.

Last edited:
Gasworks was indeed at Yonge & Dundonald, S/E corner and this was Komrads upstairs in the 80's. They had best dance floor and sound/lighting system in the city - plus they were open until 4 on weekends. I also saw Divine at Komrads, around '86. I cannot remember exactly where Quest was (The Great Imposters performed for years on the second floor), somewhere around Charles & Yonge on the east side, that's all I can remember. There's a video with George Hislop talking about culture in the early 90's driving down Yonge Street and a lot of clubs can be identified from that video, I think it's in the Yonge Street downtown thread.

I wish there was some kind of record (or video) of all the gay clubs in that area from the 1980s & 1990s. It won't be long before that whole strip is unrecognizable and its history long forgotten.

OT, but Denise Benson's Then & Now series in the Grid is really interesting, and while not exclusive to bars in the Village, she does cover a number of area clubs. http://www.thegridto.com/tag/then-now/

Last edited:
It's amazing that Yonge was THE place to go for nightlife in the 70's and 80's, and yet now is completely devoid of it despite not really having changed drastically, and having the benefit of great transit access.

Back