Toronto 576 Sherbourne | 235.2m | 69s | Alterra | Arcadis

First up, this one is the subject of a Decision Report - Approval Recommended to the next meeting of TEYCC:

Second...........I noted changes...........this one has grown again..........to 69s!

Which means we missed a resubmission in July '24 @Paclo

Paclo, you will wish to consult the report and/or the Arch. Drawing as the Cover Letter for July is not accurate.

New Renders:

1726236655069.png

1726236689215.png

1726236719017.png

1726236739247.png

Nice that they brought the colour down to the podium levels.
Who knows what colour they will go with in reality. They decided to change the colour completely for their 159SW project at Sherbourne and Wellesley, from a striking black to the typical dark blue seen across condos in this city. It’s anyone’s guess what the finished project would look like.

Who knows what colour they will go with in reality. They decided to change the colour completely for their 159SW project at Sherbourne and Wellesley, from a striking black to the typical dark blue seen across condos in this city. It’s anyone’s guess what the finished project would look like.
I don't post much, but I'm still mad about this. The all black looked so good and biking up and down Sherbourne I often shake my head at what they did 🖤

Changes are as follows:
  • Storeys increased from 63 to 69
  • Height increased from 215.75 to 235.2m
  • Total residential units increased from 782 to 872 (incl. rental replacement)
  • Total vehicular parking decreased from 49 to 44
  • Total bicycle parking from 704 to 872
Nice storey count!

Yup... also 90, 135 and 137 Isabella, and Canada House I, 8 Elm and 415 Yonge... all have 69 floors!

From 59 stories, to 63, and now 69? What's the justification for imposing this load on St.James Town?

Also in my books, there's a 0 percent chance Alterra builds this with all that colour and current crown. Fully expect this to be revised to grey or black in short order.

Nice that they brought the colour down to the podium levels.
TBH I liked the all glass look of the podium. Does a better job of highlighting the heritage buildings. Having said that, I am not sure about the overall design of this tower, the top will not age well me thinks!

At some point we have to question whether this kind of density cramming makes sense - does it make sense to build a city with only ultra-density and SFH?

AoD
I think the time is now, seems the market is driving towards very tall point towers filled with unlivible micro apartments that single people can't afford. Perhaps land in the downtown is overvalued...

At some point we have to question whether this kind of density cramming makes sense - does it make sense to build a city with only ultra-density and SFH?

AoD
It absolutely does not. In any way. It's stupid to the point of insipidity.

If these towers were regulated, viable, places to live, sure, you could make a case. But this isn't that, and it's embarrassing the City continues to fight the battles they do, while leaving everything else in the shitworld ether.

Not sure that orange trim will be distracting enough for the Toronto grey bargain spandrel that will likely go there. But, either way...

...er..I don't suppose the elevator count has been made adequate enough to deal the new density variance here.

Back