Toronto 550 Wellington West and 1 Hotel | ?m | 15s | Freed | a—A

I am rather surprise to learn this project has only reached the 4th floor. Considering that this past Spring, they were on the 1st floor. Baffling slow rate...

I am rather surprise to learn this project has only reached the 4th floor. Considering that this past Spring, they were on the 1st floor. Baffling slow rate...

Well, it does have a pretty large base, not just a typical tower. I check the website often for the construction camera, I always see the worker bees moving around.

Before they could build the 4th floor they had to construct the foundation and basement levels, followed by those tricky couple of first floors above ground which are never cookie cutter like the floors above.

Without those lower levels, the 4th floor would have been much, much, more difficult to build. That's why it has take so long to get there.

If they had gone and built the 4th floor quickly, you'd be complaining about how long it was taking to get the levels built under it.

I'm on the 10th floor, they told me Winter '09... and that occupancy would probably start in Sept.

I was at 20 Stewart last night, could see workers still hitting it hard at 10pm...

They were finishing the concrete on the 4th floor.

ebardoun, neks - do you know what suites are still available?
Freed's latest update still says this project is 70-75% sold ...

I recently moved to 455 Adelaide. I am very happy with the final product, beautiful units and good quality. 550 Wellington is expected to be much better

Snapped some pics this afternoon. Looks like they are starting work on the 7th floor of the west portion. Also new since Wednesday night is the skeleton of Crangles coming back from the dead.

IMG_2901.jpg

New (I think) exterior crane...
IMG_2924.jpg

Looking down below from Stewart....
IMG_2929.jpg

Future pedestrian walkway from Stewart to Wellington....
IMG_2931.jpg

550 Wellington Plaza GH3 Architects

I came across this when I was searching for more information about my future home. These are the first designs I've seen for the front plaza of the building.

Concept images are here: http://www.gh3.ca/environments/550/550_image1.html

Description:

This project is a mixed-use development in downtown Toronto's King West Village. The ground floor contains a variety of public amenities including restaurants and retail space, as well as a public lobby and gathering space. Of the many new private developments in Toronto, this is one of the few that will provide significant open space for public use.

The plaza along Wellington Street is designed to function as a programmed, urban counterpart to the tranquil green of Victoria Square. The adjacent public functions of the building ensure the plaza is filled with people throughout the year, at all times of the day and night. The plaza elements include a reflecting pool/skating rink, a café pavilion and a Gingko grove. The elements of the plaza are united by pattern. The ellipses are paving pattern, planting beds, and benches.

The project also provides extensive green along the project's three streetscapes. Over fifty trees are provided on the ground plane, increasing the canopy cover of the site by over 1000%. Instead of sod, lawns are planted with drought resistant ornamental grasses. The ground plane is articulated with a range of high quality paving materials that reflect the program of the building inside.

The ground plane of the 550 Wellington Condominium seeks to provide a space that is inviting and accessible throughout the day and into the evening, as well as in every season. The programming and features of the ground plane are an important private contribution to the public space of downtown Toronto.

Back