Toronto Station Place | 134.72m | 40s | First Capital | Diamond Schmitt

We know for sure it wont be a Metro, Food Basics, or Sobeys due to the proximity of the already existing/soon to be existing stores. If the plan is still for a grocer, that realistically leaves us with: Loblaws or FreshCo. That's unless there's some out of the box retailer who's interested in the space.

I would like to speculate that it will be Loblaws higher end products and prepared meals to go. Loblaws is already in Shoppers Drug Mart across the street at Six Points Plaza so it may be in their interest to not have that part of the business suffer by being proactive and occupying Aukland's grocery space.

However, this is pure speculation on my part.

Is there any store examples out there that fits the profile of high end Loblaws with a footprint of 25,000 to 30,000 square feet? Please share...

^Looking at some of the most recent Loblaw's stores that have opened up in Toronto (Queen West and Eglinton), those stores have spaces of 45000 sq.ft and 40000 sq.ft respectively. So just judging from those, this site here would be too small to house a smaller sized Loblaw's.

No Frills stores are more typically spaced around 25000 sq.ft which would match what we see on site here. Only thing is, there's no precedent for a No Frills store being placed in a condo building. Which leads me to think that if a Loblaws branded store were to be located here, it would be one of those Independent City Market stores.

So just took a closer look at the renders and looks to be a very disturbing patterned spandral nightmare. Fingers crossed I’m so wrong. Pour Toronto!

How many SQ FT is the Metro at Humber Bay Shore? It seems relatively small, feel like something like that would fit here. I could see this being an Independent, or a small Loblaws (like the one not far up on Royal York). The Shoppers across the street does carry more grocery than the usual shoppers, too. Also a chance that a Whole Foods / Farm Boy sets up here given the size of the space.

I have tried to find online the square footage for Metro at Humber Bay Shore but have not been successful. Sometimes you have to look up City of Toronto building and planning documents to uncover that information. Will continue to look for that figure.

I agree the Six Points Shoppers across the street does carry more food options and prepared meals to go. The Six Points Plaza owners had a huge addition added to the back of the store to increase the size of Shoppers. Also increased was the pharmacy space, doctors offices, Canada Post office and a wheelchair accessible washroom and lastly generous storage space to restock the shelves of the grocery section.

^Based off this image from CBRE, i'm going to say that Metro store at Humber Bay is around 22,000-25000 sq.ft; i'm unable to find the exact figure myself.

Metro.JPG

The Loblaw's at Humbertown you're referring to @toaster29 is definitely larger in size than that Metro at Humber Bay, but you're right it's a smaller scale store.

^^^ Based on the rendering you provided I'm speculating around 22,000 sq.ft which does not include the truck receiving bay or the corner retail in the upper left.

Auckland's truck receiving area is below the grocery store footprint which is really cool and shows how they made the best use of space efficiency in the design.

If Lablaws occupies the 26000 square foot retail space I may be disappointed. I have visited other Lablaws and Independent City Market stores. The price point and structure is very high. Too much for me. Please correct if am wrong about this but a casual walk through of other Lablaws and independent City Market locations saw pricing for a prepared fully cooked chicken at $12.00 each and bags of salad at $4.00 and $5.00 each!

The future of newer grocery stores in Toronto is that they occupy the bottom lower levels of rental and condo buildings. This is a very well documented fact in densely populated areas such as Toronto, Vancouver, New York City, Berlin etc.

I hope that it's a No Frills or Sobeys store but this is pure speculation on my part. Also, I think a No Frills would be a good fit since the hot food counter retail can fit in the remaining 26000 square feet of retail space. Remember Aukland will have 52000 square feet of retail space available with the grocery store taking 50% of that retail space.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm not an experienced shopper at Loblaws but do they have any sales or is it mostly upscale?

^Looking at some of the most recent Loblaw's stores that have opened up in Toronto (Queen West and Eglinton), those stores have spaces of 45000 sq.ft and 40000 sq.ft respectively. So just judging from those, this site here would be too small to house a smaller sized Loblaw's.

No Frills stores are more typically spaced around 25000 sq.ft which would match what we see on site here. Only thing is, there's no precedent for a No Frills store being placed in a condo building. Which leads me to think that if a Loblaws branded store were to be located here, it would be one of those Independent City Market stores.

The one at Peter and Richmond is pretty small..

Found this link. Has good statistical data. Of interest, it pinpoints all the grocery stores in the neighbourhood.

Any comments about the data?

Click on Points of Interest and move the slider to a 5km radius and see all the grocery store options.

Last edited:

Back