Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

I'm not sure I love this either. The roofline? please! The whole thing in fact looks like the same thing we've seen over and over, and not in a good way.

Yes, it's better than the empty space that was there before but is this all we're striving for?

This project is so amazing, I love it, it's going to make this zone more elegant. But what can really happen if she don't approval this, it really has a effect? Sorry I'm not from Canada.

7300752124_2c21891186_z.jpg
[/url]
nl0530a009x-read-only por SparksTO, en Flickr[/IMG]

this design is much better then what was posted previously. much. better and fits in better up against the other building

A 600 space car garage fronting Bloor is not a step forward IMO.

Regarding the tower, I'd describe it as "economical".

So the building behind it is part of the Cumberland Terrace redevelopment? It's interesting that it's a separate project but the rooflines seem to mirror each other (unless it's just a placeholder).

While it's nothing mindblowing, I think it's quite a handsome tower and the roofline works for me.

It's not talking to me.....anyone know who the architect is?

Bloor condo hits roadblock as councillor raises concerns with 83-storey project’s plans

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...roject/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wong-Tam is opposed to this project - she is concerned about the shadows that "might" be cast on the Jesse Ketchum school yard (what an idiot she has turned out to be!).

The article includes some nice renderings which I have not seen before.

How does the approval process work in this city? Wong-Tam is just one of many councilors. Is it possible for one moron like Wong-Tam to block an important project like this? I sure hope not! :mad:

"Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam of Ward 27 says the development team met with her to discuss the idea in March, but submitted its rezoning application without implementing any of her proposed changes."

What makes Wong-Tam an expert in urban design? The developer didn't implement "any of her proposed changes" so she is not going to support the project?

Wong-Tam is the Councillor promoting the abolition of the OMB. What this story proves is that we NEED the OMB to save us from power-tripping know-nothings like Wong-Tam!

Speak of what you know.
Wong-Tam is one of the most progressive, tireless Councillors out there bringing a host of fresh ideas to her Ward, and to the city. There is a set process in place when proposing a building of this magnitude - or any building for that matter, and she is part of that process. The fact that this developer went ahead by sideswiping her speaks volumes for what kind of developer they are, the fact that they already have a lawyer speaking on behalf of their crappy looking project confirms it.

Speak of what you know.
Wong-Tam is one of the most progressive, tireless Councillors out there bringing a host of fresh ideas to her Ward, and to the city. There is a set process in place when proposing a building of this magnitude - or any building for that matter, and she is part of that process. The fact that this developer went ahead by sideswiping her speaks volumes for what kind of developer they are, the fact that they already have a lawyer speaking on behalf of their crappy looking project confirms it.

Obviously you do not know what you speak of, and did not fully read the article. The developer submitted the application due to the April 1st date after which fees increase. It is that simple and has nothing to do with sideswiping anyone. Any developer with a project near site plan application ready before April 1st rushed their application to get it in before the April 1st deadline. You also don't seem to understand the site plan application process. It is just a starting point and the real negotiations now begin, Wong-Tam knows this and is just grand standing for her constituents.

Obviously you do not know what you speak of, and did not fully read the article. The developer submitted the application due to the April 1st date after which fees increase. It is that simple and has nothing to do with sideswiping anyone. Any developer with a project near site plan application ready before April 1st rushed their application to get it in before the April 1st deadline. You also don't seem to understand the site plan application process. It is just a starting point and the real negotiations now begin, Wong-Tam knows this and is just grand standing for her constituents.

Yes, I read the article. How much did the fee's go up that it's such a mad dash to get an incomplete application submitted? Who is really grandstanding here?

I think the design looks good. It has a look that probably won't look idiotic 10 years from now as too many of our new towers these days have.

pretty decent design i think its kinda good, could be better of course but i think it could have been worse

I'm pleasantly surprised by this rendering. I expected something much more boring, glass box-like. I like how bright it is and that it doesn't seem to be all glass, at least.

I'd also like to point out that the current Holt Renfrew gives a lot more to the street along its eastern part, with the variety of stores that each have their own unique facade for their respective allocated metres of frontage. For a newer building exterior, they did a great job of creating an interesting walk along that stretch.

Now look at the podium (especially the eastern part of which I speak, with HMV, ZARA, etc.) in the rendering and tell me what it gives to the street in terms of variety and interest for passersby.

ScreenShot2012-05-30at21306PM.png

Last edited:
I'd also like to point out that the current Holt Renfrew gives a lot more to the street along its eastern part, with the variety of stores that each have their own unique facade for their respective allocated metres of frontage. For a newer building exterior, they did a great job of creating an interesting walk along that stretch.

Now look at the podium (especially the eastern part of which I speak, with HMV, ZARA, etc.) in the rendering and tell me what it gives to the street in terms of variety and interest for passersby.

+1

Yep, this should be the standard citizens demand for all new developments downtown.

This rendering looks bad. The design review panel will chew this up.

Back