Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Unrelated to this thread, but do we know which projects were approved by City Council?

it will be awesome to see many of the great projects start the construction at around same time.

Unless things have changed, 50 Bloor West is not due to be constructed in the next couple of years. Morguard are just getting their zoning now so that they have it when they are ready to go ahead in the future.

Unless things have changed, 50 Bloor West is not due to be constructed in the next couple of years. Morguard are just getting their zoning now so that they have it when they are ready to go ahead in the future.

Exactly what I was saying months back and no one agreed. Regardless, this is essentially a highest and best use study. Testing to find what would be legally permissible, and physically possible given the site. Then morguard can decide if, once approved, they can make it financially feasible depending on where the market is at that time.

Wait that's odd Hult Renfrew juts announced the renovation for the Bloor store, or is that going ahead independently ?

Like I said, the 50 Bloor West makeover is not coming soon.

This still doesn't make sense though. The Star article says that "the flagship store at 50 Bloor St. W. in Toronto will be expanded and fully renovated by 2017, and will get a new façade". But if it's true that the 50 Bloor development is not imminent, I would think it would begin by 2017, no? So why would Holt's invest money into a new facade and a complete reno (the Yorkdale one was expensive) if, shortly after it was finished, the mess of the 50 Bloor development would begin? Not to mention that unless this was changed, the plans call for 620 below-grade parking spots. Did the plan involve digging beside or around the store, and keeping the store itself open? Or perhaps this development is planned for further into the future, i.e., 10 years from now. Any details would be appreciated.

This still doesn't make sense though. The Star article says that "the flagship store at 50 Bloor St. W. in Toronto will be expanded and fully renovated by 2017, and will get a new façade". But if it's true that the 50 Bloor development is not imminent, I would think it would begin by 2017, no? So why would Holt's invest money into a new facade and a complete reno (the Yorkdale one was expensive) if, shortly after it was finished, the mess of the 50 Bloor development would begin? Not to mention that unless this was changed, the plans call for 620 below-grade parking spots. Did the plan involve digging beside or around the store, and keeping the store itself open? Or perhaps this development is planned for further into the future, i.e., 10 years from now. Any details would be appreciated.

Pretty much the same concerns as me. Looks like we are going to have to wait to see how it's gonna unfold. Holts goes thru an extensive renovation for years and then, another few year project starts with the construction of the building. It is confusing.

Last edited:
12 Floors less?! than the original planned? tsk! tsk! Oh! Well it's Toronto! I'm not surprised anymore. :/

Actually there are no city planners. It's just a robot that says "its too tall, wah" and asks the developer to cut back. Every.single.time.

Thank heavens for the OMB.

Back