Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Gehry's towers are 280+ meter towers in an area zoned for 160 meter towers.
This guy is a 280 meter tower in an area zoned for 295 meter towers.

It's a design review panel.

Current height zoning is pretty arbitrary. Since when did Yorkville get zoned for 295 metre heights????? The easy solution is change the zoning for Mirvish/Gehry. Easy peasy

It got zoned for it when they approved 1 bloor at 295 meters. The zoning precedent has been set, which it hasn't for Gehry. Nothing to do with the DRP either.

The zoning precedent has been set, which it hasn't for Gehry.

That's what I mean...so just set it for Gehry. How much easier could that get????? (except it does nearly sit in the shadow of a 500+ metre building, so I dunno about that)

As for the design of 50 Bloor, that could be solved fairly easy too....hire a great architect. They tend to design less poop.

Today's architecture has gotten like today's pop music...it's mostly Auto-Tuned.

As for the design of 50 Bloor, that could be solved fairly easy too....hire a great architect. They tend to design less poop.

Today's architecture has gotten like today's pop music...it's mostly Auto-Tuned.
Hmmmm. Auto-tuning as applied to contemporary architecture would imply that there is still some sort of process involved. In the case of this particular building, it looks (so far at least) like process never came up. This feels like it's actually devolving. But I suppose you could say that's a process, too - a regressive one.

I'm holding out hope that the actual thing turns out to be very different from the renders we've seen thus far.

I'm holding out hope that the actual thing turns out to be very different from the renders we've seen thus far.

Hoping Pellow + Associates will keep going back to their drawer of architectural doo-dads and come up with a masterpiece is about the same as expecting Britney Spears to release a Dark Side Of The Moon equivalent. There's no substitute for talent.

Well, I may end up disappointed then. Always a drag when a high building gets announced, then turns out looking drab and uninspired.

I'm OK with it myself... depending on how it's actually realized it may be quite striking. My main concern is the design of the tower component.

Back