Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

One Bloor, Aura, Ice, Parade, L Tower, Ryerson student building all bring something new and interesting to the table. There are no other buildings like them in the city, so I think your comment is invalid. 50 Bloor (the tower portion) is very similar to other towers around town.

I never understand why some people regard "PARADE" as some kinda architectural jem...... It's just a box and a cylindrically boring glass appartment with a simple bridge across them.... The Rental bulding next to parade really makes it look like a piece of crap ..... I think it's about time we Torontonians demand better designs from these developers.....

dtTO:

Don't generalize. We're not all fans of articulated balconies. Actually, many of us prefer integrated balconies to those that stick out and create clutter, even if the design of the balconies themselves is elegant. In my opinion, 50 Bloor looks much better than 1 Bloor (in the renderings), especially when comparing the podiums. The 1 Bloor podium doesn't match the scale of the building, while 50 Bloor's not only matches the scale of the street, but even goes as far as making a bold statement of opulence. We don't get that too often in Toronto, and I for one welcome it with open arms.

Said balconies will create and define the form of the building - that is the effect of physical implementation - it is not a "generalization", much less has anything to do with whether you are a fan of that design or not. And if the use of irregular curves is not a "bold statement of opulence", I don't know what is.

As to the issue of scale - I invite you to compare the podiums:

1 Bloor:
http://ad009cdnb.archdaily.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1277171962-one-bloor-model-03.jpg

50 Bloor W:
http://urbantoronto.ca/sites/defaul...ges/projects/5318/urbantoronto-5318-18772.jpg

How are they that dramatically different in scale? Not to mention, the scale of Yonge south of Bloor is somewhat different from the immediate vicinity of Bloor around 50 Bloor West - I believe you referred to it as "scale of the street".

AoD

Last edited:
I'm surprised the shadows on Jesse Ketchum School are a concern. Glad they're okay with the height though, I like this one, beef Bloor up with something different, and that has decent setbacks.

I *love* that podium, especially the elegant pink-purple strip that extends past the building onto the adjacent one (is there a likelihood that their neighbour would reject?). The park is going to be beautiful being so high up :) Another thing that makes me happy is the number of 2/3 bedroom units.

Very pleased to hear this one not being shut down by the Design Review Panel. It's always been one of my favorites. So from here, what is our next step?

I'm surprised the shadows on Jesse Ketchum School are a concern. Glad they're okay with the height though, I like this one, beef Bloor up with something different, and that has decent setbacks.

why are you surprised by this? it's not as if shadowing on jesse ketchun is a new issue. it has been a concern in the past (four seasons, florian) and only makes sense given the circumstances.

why are you surprised by this? it's not as if shadowing on jesse ketchun is a new issue. it has been a concern in the past (four seasons, florian) and only makes sense given the circumstances.

I was surprised by the fact that the shadow reaches the school, not that the city brings up the shadows, I should have been more clear. Considering Four Seasons got by, I don't see it being a significant issue, I don't know the full story with that one though.

I was surprised by the fact that the shadow reaches the school, not that the city brings up the shadows, I should have been more clear. Considering Four Seasons got by, I don't see it being a significant issue, I don't know the full story with that one though.

Supposedly, the school was paid compensation for 4S's shadow. I wouldn't be surprised if a certain councillor was paid too. She opposed this building specifically due to the shadow, and now it's all fine and dandy.

Back