Toronto 45 The Esplanade | 128.85m | 39s | Republic | Arcadis

I like red brick, but in this neighbourhood... not a football field length of it.

Take some colour palette cues from other buildings in the nabe like Market Square (yellow or orange for the arches at grade maybe?) and the buff precast of 25 Esplanade (add some clever limestone-ish nods/details where they work)... engage the eye.

Anything in particular? If this ends up as 55 Mercer-quality IBI (which the design language seems to emulate), I think it'd be fine.

As Northern Light mentioned, the entrance is way over scaled - the podium is like 75% there but they need to simplify. Either do arches or do the staggered window openings. Both is too much and it looks messy. The tower is fine but will require really excellent materials to execute and up until now Republic hasn't actually built anything, so it's hard to gauge how they'll pull off these details since we don't have anything to compare it to.

Simplify simplify simplify - bring the red up the towers - scale down the entrances, especially the big one in the middle, and rethink the landscaping. The planters with shrubs in the middle of the sidewalk just isn't acceptable.

Simplification is always good, agreed. But I still read this as 55 Mercer meets Azura, two of IBI's strongest projects of late. I agree that the central entrance is too tall - it should just be the same height as the other arches, but the inspiration there, as I understand it, is from the Ace Hotel so they are looking at the right things (whether they can deliver is another matter).

At the end of the day, the point is somewhat moot. It will be up to Silver to execute on this or vend the site. Republic is just the development partner so once they entitle it, they're probably going to move on.

For right or wrong, I think it should be so much better than what we're will likely be losing. Thusly, it's not really doing it here for me currently, IMO.

The Novotel signs are starting to reappear.
After daily 40yd3 waste bin exchanges since ~Dec 30, 2022 it looks like this might reopen as the Novotel soon.
I looked on their reservation page and they are accepting reservations staring June 1, 2023. $549/night!

Just for curiosity, the last 3 pictures below are for March 21, 2023 10:28 actual vs sun/shadow report for March 21 10:18 & 11:18 based on the original proposal. I have not seen the new site plan application since they announced the new single tower at their community meeting Feb 16, 2023.

16285A94-0361-400E-AE3A-3735C78ADB63.jpeg

272C6BD6-1082-4576-9222-D699545A532A.jpeg

6E09001B-AD19-41CC-8882-0CC2EFA9D7BE.jpeg

A6B3B1C0-89C3-4851-8991-A77BCD8528CA.jpeg

285783E5-B95E-43AB-BAFE-79AABCD5F1E0.jpeg

24A4F5E7-0D75-4274-9AEE-F7963D138734.jpeg

2B99EF05-BA3D-4E9E-876A-2CF49B65450C.jpeg

26D6EE0A-A1BC-444E-9201-C0F504353F57.jpeg

E4F6CE9B-C1AB-4BC2-947C-4DED8C280008.jpeg

Except for a bigger, flatter TV, that looks about the same as the Holiday Inn in Grand Island, NY that I stayed in when I was a pre-teen. Inflation can be brutal, but $549 for the Holiday Inn?

Just for curiosity, the last 3 pictures below are for March 21, 2023 10:28 actual vs sun/shadow report for March 21 10:18 & 11:18 based on the original proposal. I have not seen the new site plan application since they announced the new single tower at their community meeting Feb 16, 2023.

So, since this has been appealed, I get why the updated images have not been u/l to the AIC.

However, I note w/amusement, that I went over to Republic's site for the project, they still have the original renders up, not the current set...........pffft!

Edit to add: This had me curious, so just checked the comparable price for the same date for the downtown Holiday Inn on Carlton.....$455; and the Chelsea on Gerrard, $500 a night.

10 years ago that would got a you night in a good suite at the Sheraton/Westin/Hilton, if not 2 nights. The Chelsea was way under $200 then. Just wow.

Last edited:
Simplification is always good, agreed. But I still read this as 55 Mercer meets Azura, two of IBI's strongest projects of late. I agree that the central entrance is too tall - it should just be the same height as the other arches, but the inspiration there, as I understand it, is from the Ace Hotel so they are looking at the right things (whether they can deliver is another matter).

At the end of the day, the point is somewhat moot. It will be up to Silver to execute on this or vend the site. Republic is just the development partner so once they entitle it, they're probably going to move on.

I think it would have looked better if they don't try so hard to pretend that is isn't the slab that it is - and stick with a unified expression for the tower. Celebrate the slabbliness - the site and the context can handle it.

AoD

The Novotel signs are starting to reappear.
After daily 40yd3 waste bin exchanges since ~Dec 30, 2022 it looks like this might reopen as the Novotel soon.
I looked on their reservation page and they are accepting reservations staring June 1, 2023. $549/night!

View attachment 465743
View attachment 465735

View attachment 465741

View attachment 465736

View attachment 465737

View attachment 465738

View attachment 465749
View attachment 465739

View attachment 465740
The outside could use a power wash

Except for a bigger, flatter TV, that looks about the same as the Holiday Inn in Grand Island, NY that I stayed in when I was a pre-teen. Inflation can be brutal, but $549 for the Holiday Inn?

So, since this has been appealed, I get why the updated images have not been u/l to the AIC.

However, I note w/amusement, that I went over to Republic's site for the project, they still have the original renders up, not the current set...........pffft!

Edit to add: This had me curious, so just checked the comparable price for the same date for the downtown Holiday Inn on Carlton.....$455; and the Chelsea on Gerrard, $500 a night.

10 years ago that would got a you night in a good suite at the Sheraton/Westin/Hilton, if not 2 nights. The Chelsea was way under $200 then. Just wow.
hotel prices in North America have gone through the roof in the last 24 months. Like, doubled in price. I think it's a lot of pent up travel demand from COVID or something, it's absolutely crazy.

hotel prices in North America have gone through the roof in the last 24 months. Like, doubled in price. I think it's a lot of pent up travel demand from COVID or something, it's absolutely crazy.

The value for money prop. seems off in these offerings.

I just checked The Royal York for the same date and can find a room for $569 for the night? So the RY is asking a ~$100 premium over Holiday Inn; $70 over Chelsea? What gives w/that?

With the average price for a hotel room in Toronto approaching $500 a night I doubt it will take very long to recoup the investment! Lol

Back