Toronto 400 Wellington West | 38m | 12s | Sorbara | SMV

The elevations where the two brick colours are intermingled look like a poorly composed hodge-podge.

To say this project looks more refined than 500 Wellington is like saying Celine Dion is a better vocalist than Emily Haines, or Patrick Watson. (which, though it's a matter of opinion, I can assure you she is not ;-)

That's your opinion.

this building looks absolutely incredible. The brick color fits in perfectly with the area. 500 wellington is also nice-but only the top 2 or 3 floors. 500 brick is boring black-does not fit in with any of the buildings in the area. Top floor I believe is owned by the builder. One key difference between 500 and 400 is 500 is real squashed in giving it a claustrophobic feeling-at least the first 5 or 6 floors. To each their own. Overall they are both nice-just what your taste is. Personally I would never buy a unit at 500 for 2.5M-4M in the lower floors because for this money you have a lot of choice. 500 would be a lot more attractive if they had double the units and could pay say $750K, etc. But for 2.5M or more and being on the 4th floor, etc. you have a lot more choice. 400 looks mint and is still a boutique building.

this building looks absolutely incredible. The brick color fits in perfectly with the area. 500 wellington is also nice-but only the top 2 or 3 floors. 500 brick is boring black-does not fit in with any of the buildings in the area. Top floor I believe is owned by the builder. One key difference between 500 and 400 is 500 is real squashed in giving it a claustrophobic feeling-at least the first 5 or 6 floors. To each their own. Overall they are both nice-just what your taste is. Personally I would never buy a unit at 500 for 2.5M-4M in the lower floors because for this money you have a lot of choice. 500 would be a lot more attractive if they had double the units and could pay say $750K, etc. But for 2.5M or more and being on the 4th floor, etc. you have a lot more choice. 400 looks mint and is still a boutique building.

I am sure the people living in there will be happy with it. I Think for a bigger building 400 did well with design. It's going to be a very nice street soon!

Pic taken July 29, 2011

5SBDS.jpg

That south elevation seems to be a lot of work for the masons. Those columns in the balconies must be a pain in the butt. Took them nearly a week to do three floors.

Here is a shot from today in full sun with the south elevation taking shape. Gotta hand it to SMV with the use of precast sills on the bottom of those balconies (glass to come). They didn't cheap out. Someone should take some closeups with a better camera.

Again, the real thing far surpasses the renderings! Its all in the details.

photoaug11.jpg

The window to wall ratio is very pleasing, as well as the form, and red brick. The black brick doesn't come across very well in pictures, but I presume it is better in person, as many have suggested.

The brick was being power washed today.

Pic taken August 12, 2011

K4eB4.jpg

It's unfortunate we don't see more of this style around the city.

Perhaps we will. This project, Vu, and Victory have certainly been turning heads.

I've no doubt that developers have noticed, so fingers crossed, we'll hopefully see more.

Back