Toronto 3C Waterfront | ?m | ?s | 3C Lakeshore | Foster + Partners

Is this going to be a Sales Pavilion for 3C or something? Looks like fancy tent and it seems like there will be public access. This site is on the south side of Lake Shore one lot east of Parliament.

This one is from last week.

"London-based Foster + Partners is a kind of Georges Braque or Giorgio de Chirico of the design world, whose cubist-influenced designs include the Kuwait International Airport and The One skyscraper at Yonge and Bloor – Canada’s tallest building at 85-storeys. In total, six leading architectural firms collaborated on 3C, including Toronto’s KPMB Architects, Montreal’s Claude Cormier + Associates and New York’s SHoP Architects. "

Pretty impressive collection of firms there! Very much looking forward to seeing these lands get developed over the next ten years.

Some highlights from the article:

The defining structures at 3C Waterfront will be a 50,000-square-foot arts complex with multimedia programming and three towers, each a maximum height of 50 storeys. In a bid to attain Gold Certification under the globally recognized Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards, exteriors of the buildings will be made from precast, energy efficient materials instead of traditional glazing. These precast exteriors will retain heat in winter and stay cooler in summer, making the building complex more efficient throughout the year.

At the heart of 3C Waterfront will be a pedestrian zone featuring a Barcelona-style plaza, which will serve as a kind of urban mixing bowl. Alternately fed by boulevards and compact laneways – what the Dutch called woonerfs or “living streets” because they prioritize human movement over other forms of traffic – it will be flanked by Shibuya-style shops and Les Halles-reminiscent café terraces. Also planned is a red brick tunnel linking 3C with the historic Distillery District to the immediate north, creating a supersized pedestrian zone that will connect to the lakeshore promenade.

I'm not a fan of the "towers-connected-with-sky-bridge" typology. I find it gimmicky, clichéd and unattractive. I don't like it at CityPlace and I don't like it here.
(I don't like it in Kuala Lumpur either.)

I'm not a fan of the "towers-connected-with-sky-bridge" typology. I find it gimmicky, clichéd and unattractive. I don't like it at CityPlace and I don't like it here.
(I don't like it in Kuala Lumpur either.)
In this instance I think a sky bridge will be a great addition to this area, and more importantly from a builder who knows what they're doing. I don't think this belongs in the same class as what we've seen in CityPlace. And for the record, I don't find the Petronas Twin Towers gimmicky, cliché or unattractive.

Back