Toronto 365 Church Condos | 102.1m | 31s | Menkes | Wallman Architects

Thanks, Modernizt! What you're saying makes sense but then at a minimum, I would like to send an email to the developers (even if it's not read).
I figure even if it has no effect, at least you had your say and put the message out there. It certainly can't hurt and you never know, it might make some people think twice. The over-use of grey spandrel and mullions is getting out of control in this city and I'm glad people are talking about it. I have phoned my local councillor about it on a number of occasions and it makes me feel better just to vent and let that frustration out. Politicians and developers need to know that there are people who care about this city.

Taken last Tuesday:
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    940.4 KB · Views: 712
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 764
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 721
We don't ban photos of buildings on this site, but maybe we should reconsider in some cases.

Or maybe we could attach calming new age soundtracks to certain pages, triggered automatically by posts that have photos, to help settle nerves.

Or maybe attach warnings to certain threads that some images may offend.

Or require agreement to a waiver before opening particular threads, that UrbanToronto won't be sued should a reader self-harm.

Or require psychological assessments, attested to by a reputable doctor, that you're prepared for images of deep cheapness.

Failing all that, please light some candles, put on some Enya, desensitize yourself in the Velocity thread, place a neighbour between yourself and the knives in your kitchen, and start sending in your doctor's notes now. "Enjoy" the thread.

I have to admit, some of the threads/pictures posted on Urban Toronto do cause me stress, especially when I see loads of grey spandrel and walls of glass retail! It's just an automatic response to blight.

Were Menkes thinking about anything other than low low costs and budget on this one? It's really really bad looking. Hard to blame the architect when you're forced to cut costs like this. I mean I could maybe understand if this was built next to Moss park or something, but this area isn't really that low cost that it should make some attempt at design prohibitive, is it?

I mean I could maybe understand if this was built next to Moss park or something, but this area isn't really that low cost that it should make some attempt at design prohibitive, is it?

I think Moss Park deserves as good an architecture as anywhere in the city; in fact, perhaps more due to what I imagine is a lower cost of property and a great heritage stock in the area.

The shade of grey that they picked for the spandrel, is particularly distasteful! If they are going to go grey, at least give us one of the less offensive shades of the colour. Speaking of colour, what's up with the ugly shade used on the fake brick panels? It just looks so wrong!

The shade of grey that they picked for the spandrel, is particularly distasteful! If they are going to go grey, at least give us one of the less offensive shades of the colour. Speaking of colour, what's up with the ugly shade used on the fake brick panels? It just looks so wrong!

You would think that by now it had been understood by local firms that if you put glass (which generally has a green tint, even if slight) in front of a light grey, you will get this ugly bluey/purpley grey. And yet we keep ending up with these off-grey spandrel glass panels that clash with every other possible material or colour on a project. Shudder.

Sept 4
Like I have said in the past, you see one building and you seen then all. This is not different than hundreds of buildings built, underway or plan. Most are cookie cutter in one form or another.
28923258614_d0c9634728_h.jpg

29546028225_1b6718a704_h.jpg

29512051906_f4e6f17992_h.jpg

29465614371_fecf43121b_h.jpg

29546032015_e078ec746f_h.jpg

29256041450_4cf72531ff_h.jpg

29546048615_0b3e1a5084_h.jpg

Back