Toronto 36 Eglinton West | 199.99m | 59s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Wow....what a stinker. This,like any project in the area, should mandate full office replacement. This is a really ballsy proposal...I do hope to see it chopped considerably. It's a tough place to put a tower without shrinking the flooplate, which is what confounds me about this proposal.

Either way, Lifetime proved to be a great disappointment with their project up the street...and the podium render is easily one of the strangest messy designs I've ever seen...it's like an architect threw up.

I hope to see some new buildings in this area someday be built with good quality or with a half decent design...E Condos was the closest thing to that recently IMO...and the podium is unimpressive anyhow.

From the above tweet:

2020_07_13_02_57_54_36eglintonavenuewestcondos_rendering.png

2020_07_13_02_57_56_36eglintonavenuewestcondos_rendering3.png

2020_07_13_02_57_55_36eglintonavenuewestcondos_rendering2.png

What are the white placeholders supposed to represent? Future phases?

The applicant included those in the renderings despite it being different applications to show future context and precedent for height and density in the surrounding area.

I wonder what all those neighbourhood NIMBY's ferociously fighting those condo towers 15 years ago must think now.

15 years. Time really flies!

I remember when Minto Midtown was one of the premier projects in the city (at least on the forum). All of that NIMBY fuss removed some storeys and ruined the design (the original spire/roof treatment was beautiful). It seemed silly then, and utterly pointless in hindsight.

I can't say that the earlier version was better. The spires were better. But even for the 2000s, it was a dated design.

The end result was popular because they got a lot of fine details right, particularly with regard to the podium.

I can't say that the earlier version was better. The spires were better. But even for the 2000s, it was a dated design.

The end result was popular because they got a lot of fine details right, particularly with regard to the podium.

True, but I think the could've accomplished that at the same height.

I wish the tower just came down to ground level and there was no podium. It would open up that corner more, allude to the earlier Rio Can Centre plazas and save us from any future monstrosities they may plan for the first couple of floors. Also, it would be a nice change from the podium+tower typology.

Commentary from councillor Mike Colle:

The new height though goes beyond what the area can handle, according to local councillor Mike Colle.

“Sixty-five storeys is obscene and disgusting,” Colle said. “Right now there is no daylight there, there’s no room to walk on the sidewalk. You can’t get on the subway.”

Colle said the midtown development application was changed a couple of weeks ago and there currently are no laws to limit a tower’s height due to the province amending the TOcore and Midtown in Focus plans in June last year. It was done without consultation from the city and allows development to outpace infrastructure.

“The province has given [developers] free reign to do whatever they want,” he said. “This type of doubling [in height] is unprecedented.”

---------
The midtown development is planned steps from Eglinton Station and near the new LRT station that is currently under construction, but Colle said he doesn’t see that making any difference to the density problems in the area.

“Nevermind the LRT, you’ve got to wait for six subway cars to get out in the morning,” he said. “We can’t handle what we have now, how are we going to handle 65 storeys?”

Colle thinks this project will set a new precedent for midtown development, which he said currently has towers around 40 storeys. Since the province’s policy changes, he said it will now be a “free for all,” and he doesn’t have much confidence in city council stopping it, either.

That is because the province has also amended the Ontario Municipal Board, which is now the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, to give the province the ability to overrule municipal decisions and have the final say.

“We’re going to have a hell of a time trying to stop [this development],” Colle said “All we can do is take [the fight] to the streets — block traffic, whatever the hell we got to do, because the province basically only listens to developers.”

Back