Toronto 36 Eglinton West | 199.99m | 59s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

For reference, here's the Map 2 from the 2013 Board settlement. I would be shocked if they were able to maintain the below setbacks on something that's got an extra 26 storeys:

Capture.PNG

There is an existing approval here with a reduced tower separation. Thus rezoning is making it taller, presumably relying on the existing approval to permit the reduced tower separation.
Ah I see. So theoretically if that's the case, a developer could seek a shorter build with reduced tower separation, get that approved, then come back with a re-zoned application with a taller build with those same tower separation plans?

I'm not clear on the nitty-gritty on all this which is why I ask.

It would be pretty disappointing if this was allowed to proceed without replacing the all of the office (employment) space.

It's a gamble on Lifetime's part, and we'll have to see what is posted when the documents come out, but there is now a plethora of policy that was not in place in 2011-2013 when the original proposal was evaluated. This appears to be a new submission, so I'm unsure how much weight the previous approval will hold.

Ah I see. So theoretically if that's the case, a developer could seek a shorter build with reduced tower separation, get that approved, then come back with a re-zoned application with a taller build with those same tower separation plans?

I'm not clear on the nitty-gritty on all this which is why I ask.
Not really.

The previous approval pre-dates the tall building guidelines and was approved without the 25m setback from another tower.

Lifetime's justification here is likely that the new density they are adding will adhere to the tower separation guidelines since it will sit above the adjacent office building.

The city will try to ignore the previous zoning approval, as this is a new process starting over, but Lifetime is likely planning on this being an LPAT appeal where they will make the argument above. And I get it - they have as of right permissions to build 8m from the lot line, it's not really the city's place to say "haha just kidding you can't do that now", even if they are asking for more on top of it.

For reference, here's the Map 2 from the 2013 Board settlement. I would be shocked if they were able to maintain the below setbacks on something that's got an extra 26 storeys:

View attachment 256651
LOL, the west side is now a 7.6m setback and the north is 2.75m. Real balls to the wall approach here, Lifetime!

That podium is absolutely horrible in every way, shape in form. I thought no podium in the area could look worse then Yonge-Eglinton Centre's podium, but Lifetime decided to say "hold my drink, let me one up you RioCan".

After what they did up th e street at Whitehaus, I dont trust Lifetime one bit on this one. They seem eager to make Yonge & Eg look cheap.

The podium in my opinion has the similar appearance as The Art Shoppe condo ! As seen in the second last photo up above and below if you look closely !

Last edited:

Back