Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

I'm not usually one to jump to conclusions, but my feeling is that this was 100% arson.

"I'm not usually one to jump to conclusions, but my feeling is that this was 100% arson." QUOTE Coruscanti Cognosente.

Then, NO INSURANCE!

Regards,
J T

I feel that Lalani should be forced to build an exact replica of the Empress, down to the finest details. I'm sure site plans and architect's drawings and countless photographs exist to be able to reconstruct this building.

Let this serve as an example to any numbered corporation that wants to demolish a building either by neglect or arson.

... Let this serve as an example to any numbered corporation that wants to demolish a building either by neglect or arson.
An investigation is underway, and I have not heard any results from it yet. Assuming that this was arson, you then have the problem of determining who did it. Statements blaming someone without reasonable proof are premature to say the least. Anyone want to read up on the slander laws?

It's a shame that this historic structure is now gone, and we probably need better laws to enforce preservation of these heritage properties. Let's agree on that. Moving forward, the best alternative for this property would probably be a Ryerson development, creating a "gateway" to the campus on both corners of Gould Street.

tipped at urbanation's twitter feed - and from Daily Commercial News yesterday, so posted with the usual warning.....(note inference or confusion on who the owner is??)

RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT Proj: 9130489-1

Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
Yonge St, Gould St, M5V
$50,000,000 est

Note: Owner is negotiating to secure the site. Site remediation and clean-up will proceed Spring/Summer, 2011. Investigation into the stability of the remaining structure is underway. The project scope is undetermined. Further update Summer, 2011.

Project: proposed redevelopment of Empress Hotel which was destroyed by fire. Proposed is development of a gateway site for its rapidly growing downtown campus. The project may include retail buildings, residential buildings, educational buildings and office buildings.

Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Commercial offices; Educational bldgs
Owner Complete information is available to subscribers. Click HERE to find out how to subscribe.
This report Tue Feb 01, 2011.

Last edited:
An investigation is underway, and I have not heard any results from it yet. Assuming that this was arson, you then have the problem of determining who did it. Statements blaming someone without reasonable proof are premature to say the least. Anyone want to read up on the slander laws?

It's a shame that this historic structure is now gone, and we probably need better laws to enforce preservation of these heritage properties. Let's agree on that. Moving forward, the best alternative for this property would probably be a Ryerson development, creating a "gateway" to the campus on both corners of Gould Street.

Whatever the reasons behind what happened here, I still think it's high time we made an example of this tragedy. If the people of Poland can rebuild the entire old town of Warsaw, surely this city can rebuild one building.

" I still think it's high time we made an example of this tragedy." YOUR ABOVE QUOTE.

In my humble opinion, I would rather see the rule of existing law applied as is required.

Regards,
J T

tipped at urbanation's twitter feed - and from Daily Commercial News yesterday, so posted with the usual warning.....(note inference or confusion on who the owner is??)

RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT Proj: 9130489-1

Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
Yonge St, Gould St, M5V
$50,000,000 est

Note: Owner is negotiating to secure the site. Site remediation and clean-up will proceed Spring/Summer, 2011. Investigation into the stability of the remaining structure is underway. The project scope is undetermined. Further update Summer, 2011.

Project: proposed redevelopment of Empress Hotel which was destroyed by fire. Proposed is development of a gateway site for its rapidly growing downtown campus. The project may include retail buildings, residential buildings, educational buildings and office buildings.

Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Commercial offices; Educational bldgs
Owner Complete information is available to subscribers. Click HERE to find out how to subscribe.
This report Tue Feb 01, 2011.

wow, they sure didn't waste any time ...

it only took 30 days from date of destruction to already have plans, etc ready ...
things to make you go hmmm

JT Cunningham:

In my humble opinion, I would rather see the rule of existing law applied as is required.

Indeed, I am sure there are existing laws governing the structural soundness of buildings, the owners responsiblity in such areas as well as the civil and criminal responsiblity for any harm that stems from neglect, no?

AoD

I went looking through my photos and thankfully found one photo of Kenson apartments. It is only of the fabulous fire escapes, though.

n505539212_208543_4307.jpg

I traversed those stairs once. It was the early morning and my clothes were quite rumpled.

But I still remember the interior of the place was beautiful. Crown mouldings on the walls and quality hardwood floors.
I'm pretty sure there was a courtyard in the middle, though overgrown and filled with trash.

The unit I visited was a one room bachelor joined to another identical room via a shared kitchen and bathroom in between them.
It's interesting that that kind of unit design went out of style so long ago but it's now common for 20-somethings to share 2-bedroom condo.

Back