Toronto 335 Yonge | 55.2m | 16s | Lalani | Zeidler

What I meant to write was that it's little wonder Montrealers are not lining up to join the cause if they don't perceive there to be much of a cause to join...

I'm talking here about the 'average' Montrealer, Chicagoan or Torontonian. I think it'd be a tough sell to try and convince Montrealers that they are falling down on their preservationist duties, no matter what building here or there is lost and/or what preservationists have to say about it. Not to say that this is right but only to say that the perceived sense of urgency is so different within the differing contexts. Even still, in a Quebec context the opinion of preservationists probably carries a lot more weight than it does in Toronto, as a residual benefit of the overall value that is conferred on heritage within the culture in general.

Yet other than that final sentence (which also happens to be apropos to *my* final sentence about flabby/ad hoc/formless standards), how much different is that in real terms from this situation?

The sad reality is that the vast majority of Toronto cares little about the Edison, and about 95% wouldn't know who the heck Jane Jacobs was. I see this as the 'critical ignorance' and not the regulations, even if they could and should be better. At the end of day if people don't see value in heritage, if it is not meaningful to them in any way and in any collective sense, there will never be enough regulations in place to safeguard it.

Yes, on this I agree... though I wouldn't characterize Toronto as 'hostile' to heritage so much as oblivious to it.

Look: the "vast majority" situation isn't unique to Toronto. It's universal. And the obverse of such obliviousness are the kinds of hack perceptions of one's own heritage that can plague other supposedly "heritage-conscious" burgs (think of Bostonians' hostility to their Brutalist City Hall, for instance). Indeed, if we were to bow to the preexisting tyranny of "vast majorities", we might as well not bother with *any* but the most potboilerish forms of heritage retention at all. Anywhere.

Come to think of it...when it comes to hack obliviousness, look in the mirror, since you've been one to advocate the idea of moving the Harbour Commission to a waterfront site. (Which'd be an idiotic saccharine-sap idea even under a so-called "visionary" Daley-type mayor.)

Last edited:
Yet other than that final sentence (which also happens to be apropos to *my* final sentence about flabby/ad hoc/formless standards), how much different is that in real terms from this situation?

You cannot legislate behaviour or public opinion in any sustainable way... or how Toronto feels about its heritage. It will not work. Heritage will lose to other influences time and time again (land value, land use, development etc), and all the more so in a context like we have in Toronto where heritage has zero value. Yes, you can do this in certain specific cases where the heritage value is more or less a no-brainer, and even to a self-professed heritage hack such as myself, but if you're so concerned about this brutalist structure or that one you will doubtless continue to be frustrated in your fruitless efforts...

Look: the "vast majority" situation isn't unique to Toronto. It's universal. And the obverse of such obliviousness are the kinds of hack perceptions of one's own heritage that can plague other supposedly "heritage-conscious" burgs (think of Bostonians' hostility to their Brutalist City Hall, for instance). Indeed, if we were to bow to the preexisting tyranny of "vast majorities", we might as well not bother with *any* but the most potboilerish forms of heritage retention at all. Anywhere.

Come to think of it...when it comes to hack obliviousness, look in the mirror, since you've been one to advocate the idea of moving the Harbour Commission to a waterfront site. (Which'd be an idiotic saccharine-sap idea even under a so-called "visionary" Daley-type mayor.)

Time and again, in reading your posts on these things it strikes me that you seriously need to rethink your understanding of what Heritage is. Buildings are not heritage in and of themselves, nor are locations or trivial footnotes about why one particular structure or feature of structure is unique or not... and to mistake this as so is completely misguided. Your fetish for these things blinds you to the deeper meaning of Heritage which is that of a social/historic/cultural narrative, of which these 'things' are merely signposts, or loci of mémoire for said society. You can level the heritage literacy of the average Bostonian to that of the average Torontonian but I can assure you that unlike here even the most uneducated and even the most amateur/hack among them understands and believes and values the story in their History, which is to say their Heritage... and if a brutalist 'structure' is at risk it is simply because the story is not yet clearly understood or contextualized or embraced in any meaningful way for them... whatever some tight-assed self-professed 'expert' on architecture might feel about it.

... and as for the Harbour Commission Site your position perfectly exemplifies the failure of preservationists in Toronto to understand Heritage in any meaningful way. A restoration of the 'story' and cultural relevance of this building, not to mention its visibility and profile, nets the city far more in terms of Heritage value than does any anal fetishizing insistence on location... which also completely misses the point that a heritage narrative is ongoing... that unloved brutalist structures may come to be valued as part of a society's narrative... that the use and even the very location of buildings may come to evolve, adapt and change as they continue to find relevance. Circumscribing history and heritage to issues of data, which is to say names, dates and locations misses the point entirely.... and when preservationists/experts are fixated on this they do their movement a disservice.

... and as for the Harbour Commission Site your position perfectly exemplifies the failure of preservationists in Toronto to understand Heritage in any meaningful way. A restoration of the 'story' and cultural relevance of this building, not to mention its visibility and profile, nets the city far more in terms of Heritage value than does any anal fetishizing insistence on location...

However, what you seem to misunderstand is that equivalent goals can be achieved in a more satisfactory fashion in situ--i.e. preempting the need for such a move--and if you think it's solely a Toronto preservationist "failure" to insist it be so, it isn't. Again, it's universal; i.e. you're going to run into the same fundamental conflicts vs a Montreal/Chicago/wherever preservationist culture. And if, hypothetically, they'd succeed where Toronto fails, it wouldn't be in advocating such a move, but in articulating the preemptive argument--regardless of the transformed surroundings. In other words, wherever you go, you're skunked--of course, a "strong" "visionary" Mayor Daley or Mayor Menino type can always invoke populist veto power in the name of "heritage", but...

So, there you have it--what Toronto truly has is an articulation problem. Not of understanding heritage in any meaningful way, but in articulating it. I mean, Toronto's managed to "fake it" in a pro forma way over the years, and the good-vibey Crombie-urban-reform years added gloss to the fakery--but in real terms, when it comes to "articulating its worth", Toronto hasn't advanced a whole lot from Eric Arthur half a century ago, it's been falling back on past laurels or the examples of others, etc. Which ultimately feeds insipid ignorance like yours--even through the seemingly "enlightened" smokescreen of your insisting upon the "social/historic/cultural narrative"--unless, and esp. within a development-geek-heavy realm like UT, you're trying to frame it in more "idealistic" terms, like feeding a notion of Toronto as some kind of "post-heritage" metropolis where the self-fulfilling broad-truism prophecy of "zero value" is viewed as opportunity, and the heritage buffs can be brushed off as Prince Charlesian marginalia even when they're advocating on behalf of that which'd make Chuckie Windsor puke...

However, what you seem to misunderstand is that equivalent goals can be achieved in a more satisfactory fashion in situ--i.e. preempting the need for such a move--

That's a pretty tall statement. I mean, just which 'equivalent goals' does this fetish for an in situ preservation of this particular structure achieve... and just how does this approach achieve anything remotely equivalent to anything I have cited with regards to a hypothetical remise en valeur of the Harbour Commission Building's heritage?

So, there you have it--what Toronto truly has is an articulation problem. Not of understanding heritage in any meaningful way, but in articulating it.

... except that this problem of articulation derives from a fundamental lack of understanding. Little wonder given that preservationists in Toronto approach Heritage like a bunch of accountants .

Had anyone read or seen anything in the media regarding the investigation here? I haven't been able to find anything.

... except that this problem of articulation derives from a fundamental lack of understanding. Little wonder given that preservationists in Toronto approach Heritage like a bunch of accountants .

But it beats your kind of gutlessness.

SUN031GM12_682_865089a.jpg

Tewder-heritage vs adma-heritage. Take your pick.

Wow this corner looks like shit now. You can really tell how much of an impact this building had...

Okay, back to Tewder the Gutless...

... and as for the Harbour Commission Site your position perfectly exemplifies the failure of preservationists in Toronto to understand Heritage in any meaningful way. A restoration of the 'story' and cultural relevance of this building, not to mention its visibility and profile, nets the city far more in terms of Heritage value than does any anal fetishizing insistence on location... which also completely misses the point that a heritage narrative is ongoing... that unloved brutalist structures may come to be valued as part of a society's narrative... that the use and even the very location of buildings may come to evolve, adapt and change as they continue to find relevance. Circumscribing history and heritage to issues of data, which is to say names, dates and locations misses the point entirely.... and when preservationists/experts are fixated on this they do their movement a disservice.

I highlighted "in Toronto" because you seem obsessed w/ascribing this tendency to Toronto. No. It's not just Toronto. And if you think it's a sign of "failure" to insist that your kind of "restoration" idea in this case is in fact bowdlerization--you're going to run into that judgment elsewhere too, bucko. So--maybe the whole movement, the whole "heritage priesthood" fails, in your assessment.

But look; when it comes to heritage, preservation, and all of that, it's not enough to be insipidly "meaningful". It's about...guts. Without guts, heritage fails. And would have failed in the past. Those comprehensively well versed in appreciating our existing built environment know...it's got guts. Maybe you think they're just "fetishists"; that's your problem.

In fact, if you want the perfect case of the gutsy fetishists having their way in Toronto, consider the case of the Nathan Phillips Square walkways which Councillor Milczyn was intent on removing--back then, they weren't deemed "meaningful". In fact, there was lots of talk (including on UT) of them being disused, view-blocking concrete eyesores etc etc. And I'm pretty sure that 95% of Torontonians out there wouldn't have had a problem with them being removed--maybe not always an active insistence upon removal; but not upon retention, either. (Yeah, technically a lot of that quotient was casual apathy; but, still.)

But in the end, the fetishists had authority. They addressed the "meaningful/not meaningful" argument by cutting through it with a cold blade, no mercy. (And yeah, I know we're dealing w/a major architectural and civic landmark--but that could have been just as well leveraged t/w the removal argument.) Thus, NPS still has walkways.

One might point to that as the height of heritage hubris--I know there are still those who feel that retaining the walkways was a bad idea. But I'd rather see it as heritage Tiger Mothering.

And re...

Time and again, in reading your posts on these things it strikes me that you seriously need to rethink your understanding of what Heritage is. Buildings are not heritage in and of themselves, nor are locations or trivial footnotes about why one particular structure or feature of structure is unique or not... and to mistake this as so is completely misguided. Your fetish for these things blinds you to the deeper meaning of Heritage which is that of a social/historic/cultural narrative, of which these 'things' are merely signposts, or loci of mémoire for said society. You can level the heritage literacy of the average Bostonian to that of the average Torontonian but I can assure you that unlike here even the most uneducated and even the most amateur/hack among them understands and believes and values the story in their History, which is to say their Heritage... and if a brutalist 'structure' is at risk it is simply because the story is not yet clearly understood or contextualized or embraced in any meaningful way for them... whatever some tight-assed self-professed 'expert' on architecture might feel about it.

Ah, but then, with such a "Heritage is more than just bricks and mortar" argument, we get to the kind of slippery slope that can wind up abused on behalf of negating any architectural preservation.

Like in recent years, what's described here
http://www.soseglises.com/en/index.php
has been one of the heritage issues in Ontario--however, I can imagine that the diocesal "villains" in the narrative could just as well have framed themselves in terms of healthy continuation rather than barbaric disposal, and that those making the latter accusation and fighting their decision were misguided fetishists.

Technically, that's true, according to your framework. But that way, you're not going to make friends among *any* preservation groups out there. Period.

You're citing NPS as an example of preservation 'guts'?... You're actually going to sit there and high-five preservationists for achieving a victory at what is just about one of the most famous and important buildings in the city? I mean, what will you view as Toronto's next gutsy preservation triumph... Fort York? Heck, never mind the bicentennial, lets thank God for Adma the heritage crusader!

Ah, but then, with such a "Heritage is more than just bricks and mortar" argument, we get to the kind of slippery slope that can wind up abused on behalf of negating any architectural preservation.

Wooooooo there pardner.... who said anything about negating architectural preservation? For the record, I'm all for it. Clear enough?

The problem here is that you like to pick and choose your own preservation priority list, in a self-serving 'architecture is more important than context/use' way. Convenient. Unfortunately it is not quite so simple as that, and certainly not the same in each and every single case. Yes, you see unlike you I do feel that there is more to understanding, preserving or articulating heritage than inventorying bricks...

Last edited:
You're citing NPS as an example of preservation 'guts'?... You're actually going to sit there and high-five preservationists for achieving a victory at what is just about one of the most famous and important buildings in the city?

Well, not NPS in general, but a particular element--the walkways. And as I indicated: if Peter Milczyn's first-bright-idea together with a whole horde of Sunday-painter urbanists wearing the clumsy mantle of PPS judgment had their way, removing the walkways could have been spun as the "victory" on behalf of making NPS more "meaningful", excessively-anal modern-preservation geeks be darned. Get my drift?

OTOH, if you want a situation that far better fits the "apathy/not meaningful" heritage tableau that you're ascribing to Toronto, consider the makeover of Mississauga's Civic Square, bearing in mind that Mississauga City Hall was at least as important an architectural work for its time as Toronto's was for its time. While I'd strategically suspending judgment on what's being done, there's still something disconcerting about the deafening silence--something that'd be inconceivable in Toronto (or Hamilton, given the controversy over *its* City Hall renos). It's like...total blithe acceptance; including within the pertinent UT threads...

The problem here is that you like to pick and choose your own preservation priority list, in a self-serving 'architecture is more important than context/use' way. Convenient. Unfortunately it is not quite so simple as that, and certainly not the same in each and every single case. Yes, you see unlike you I do feel that there is more to understanding, preserving or articulating heritage than inventorying bricks...

We're not so much unlike as you think. But unfortunately, the difference btw/where we're coming from is roughly like the difference btw/the NDP and "Hey, NDPers! Let's Unite the Left! Support Gerard Kennedy!"

As a reminder: by my insisting against the "woe is us, we don't care while Montreal etc cares etc etc" approach, it isn't to dismiss the fact that here, in Toronto, we have a problem. Rather, it's because it's superior strategy to view ourselves on a common playing field, even w/more apparently "enlightened" jurisdictions. And it helps to bolster a superior, more nuanced approach to the problem(s) in question...even with the scraps that we have. You may dismiss a lot of those concerns as meaningless data, but...look, as we know in this Web-based age, all that supposedly "meaningless" data in our midst can be actually be sexy. So, make the most of it.

However, the "common playing field" realm which I referred to isn't necessarily the one you're accustomed to. Which...brings us down to not Toronto demographics, but Urban Toronto demographics. And as I've said before, there's a certain evident UT split btw/those who arrived w/a "new construction/development" lean, and those who arrived w/a "historical/existing conditions" lean. And in the former case especially, bolstered by the kinds of Sim City kids who've been conditioned through the whole skyscraper-message-board youthful rite of passage. More often than not, they're quite profoundly tin-eared t/w matters of heritage or preservation--partly because it's a realm painted unflatteringly by a certain message-boarding anti-NIMBY status quo; and partly, maybe, unfortunately, because such concerns could be falling into the same common-knowledge cultural eclipse that's befallen classical music, opera, etc in recent decades.

Not saying you're "one of them", precisely; just that one's perspective can be conditioned by where one hangs and who one hangs with. But from a heritage standpoint, I'm sorry if you want to place those wide-eyed hostile ignoramii on a pedestal...

Not saying you're "one of them", precisely; just that one's perspective can be conditioned by where one hangs and who one hangs with. But from a heritage standpoint, I'm sorry if you want to place those wide-eyed hostile ignoramii on a pedestal...

No, I put heritage on the pedestal first and foremost... of course new projects are exciting too, if of good design, in a 'they are the heritage of the future' kind of way.

Look, these things are complicated. I have to believe that there's not always one 'right' approach to any site or structure, but various right approaches based on what the particular challenges, threats or objectives for the site/structure in question might be... and yes, it sometimes takes a fight. My feelings on this informed by the Talbot streetscape disaster in London during the 80s in which as a youngster I felt so moved by it all that I participated in a human chain and wrote an editorial to the paper and so on... so from this perspective, no matter how amateur, I wouldn't dream of touching the NPS walkways or moving Fort York (perish the thought)... even if on a case by case basis I am open to musing on or considering other heritage objectives for other sites if the benefit of what is gained outweighs the loss, i.e. the loss of original site for Harbour Commision Building vs the return of context/visibility etc... and it's not like I don't understand that this will never happen, I do. Only that I believe the conversation we have on these issues is important, as are creative approaches.

I do still feel the battle is 'easier' in those jurisdictions where the public will allow for a certain valuation of heritage as a shared cultural asset, and that this is a particular challenge in Toronto - or in many places in Ontario for that matter - where we consistently value other cultural objectives over heritage, such as diversity etc. At some point, for the sake of heritage, we will need to be able to reconcile these objectives.

Sorry to be a little late to the party, but I think that there is another theme that permeates heritage discussions, namely that somehow any talk of heritage preservation is frivolous in the context of healthcare or "saving people's lives". This goes back to the bad old days of the demolition of John Howard's Provincial Lunatic Asylum on Queen, and has resurfaced lately over the deafening silence surrounding the redevelopment of Women's College Hospital, which will see the demolition of the original 1930's art deco building, and has already resulted in the destruction of the Kenson Apartments on Grosvenor:

womenscollege.jpg

Kenson1.jpg

IMG00137-20101023-1133-1.jpg

Sorry to be a little late to the party, but I think that there is another theme that permeates heritage discussions, namely that somehow any talk of heritage preservation is frivolous in the context of healthcare or "saving people's lives". This goes back to the bad old days of the demolition of John Howard's Provincial Lunatic Asylum on Queen, and has resurfaced lately over the deafening silence surrounding the redevelopment of Women's College Hospital, which will see the demolition of the original 1930's art deco building, and has already resulted in the destruction of the Kenson Apartments on Grosvenor:
]

I think this is particularly true of buildings that carry any kind of stigma--particularly former asylums, institutions for the "retarded", and prisons, but to some extent hospitals as well. These are often handsome, if not outright beautiful buildings on the outside, but developers often balk at redoing these because of their former use (both from a practical standpoint--they're often not pretty inside--and from the perception that no one would want an office or condo in a former "nut house" or place where people got sick and died) They're rarely redeveloped for their original use because when it comes to hospitals or other such facilities, you WANT modern; the aesthetics of the building often are secondary. And tearing down an old lunatic asylum is almost always seen as a sign of progress.

Too true. The "revolutionary" approach rather than the "evolutionary" approach, being one of the cornerstones of Modernism, is most visible in tracing the evolution of the Toronto General Hospital block over the years. Site-planning and the relationship of indoor/outdoor spaces is also part of "heritage" (note U of T). The original concept of courtyards and gardens (and the medicinal benefits of loggias and porches) soon vanished given both site constraints, the economics of large floor plates in hospital design and a certain obliviousness to the past (culminating in the monstrous John David Eaton wing in 1980). Even today, these kind of discussions seem off-limits given the healthcare context (back to "saving lives").

1910:
TGHmap-1.jpg

TGH.jpg

TGH2.jpg

Back