Toronto The Whitfield | 130m | 39s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

127m.

Generally I like it - the height is a little aggressive for the area but I don't find it offensive. the site plan seems well thought out and the built form is generally appropriate. Build it is my vote.

Last edited:
Interesting design! If I’m reading that floor plate right, the biggest units are 1 bed + den? Surely there will be at least some 2 and even (albeit tiny) 3 beds?

There are

U9PtidE.jpg

No me gusta, probably mostly due to the design team and the watering down Menkes will surely work towards for the final product.

No me gusta, probably mostly due to the design team and the watering down Menkes will surely work towards for the final product.
The one higher quality rendering we have so far doesn't even present a buildable facade for the retail space, and this is only at the rezoning stage at this point, not site plan application where you firm up the exteriors, so it's not only that things will probably change, they have to.

There are no finalized exterior details to water down yet. Consider what you're looking at to be a design direction, and not more than that.

That podium is Flinstones building 2.

It’s a neighbourhood of brick streetwalls (King St) and courtyard blocks (Esplanade). This all-glass 2-storey “podium” looks like a suburban McDonalds.

Not to mention the podium almost certainly isn’t doing any wind mitigation so it begs the “Why?” question even more.

Last edited:
That podium is Flinstones building 2.

It’s a neighbourhood of brick streetwalls (King St) and courtyard blocks (Esplanade). This all-glass 2-storey “podium” looks like a suburban McDonalds.

Not to mention the podium almost certainly isn’t doing any wind mitigation so it begs the “Why?” question even more.

Or the condo buildings under construction directly west and south of this location.

As a design direction, I take no issue w/the tower. It's dramatic, it's interesting, not precisely to my taste, but so what.

I'm glad to see something less repetitive with a bit more flare.

That said..........I despise the podium idea. It doesn't relate well to tower above.......or much of anything else; at least nothing worth relating to.

Nice ! it's not a rectangle box and has a red vertical beam slabs that encircle the whole building facade .

Back