Toronto The Whitfield | 130m | 39s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

Nice! Thrilled to see another gas station in an urban location die.
I do not own a car but there IS a need for a few gas stations downtown and when this one closes the only one I can think of between Yonge (or further west) and the Don in the downtown area will be the one at Richmond & Jarvis.

I do not own a car but there IS a need for a few gas stations downtown and when this one closes the only one I can think of between Yonge (or further west) and the Don in the downtown area will be the one at Richmond & Jarvis.

The Shell at Parliament and Richmond as well.

Personally i'm not too fussed if gas station start to disappear. Over the next 15 years I expect them to become much less common anyway as electric vehicles kill their market. Not a good business to be in right now. Electric Vehicle market share is north of 4% of sales now and continues to grow exponentially.

Isn't there still at least one station on Wellesley? Plus there's the cabbagetown one on Parliament.

There are alternative ways to provide gas rather than the current derigueur North American style.

See this style in Rome, almost built into the street.

From the website Italy Explained

driving4-e1452204141491.jpg

Hopefully they can find another east end spot. Wacky hair rock branding aside, they’re a pretty important incubator/part Toronto’s music scene and Richmond and Geary street are always jammed.
Agreed. Also, the manager at the Front/Sherbourne location (Grant) is very helpful and informative.
Still, the building is a complete dump with noted pest issues and the land is just too valuable to sit on.

The density at this intersection is increasing so incredibly rapidly -- three major projects going up at nearly the same time.

And Sherbourne St simply can't handle it. There is so much traffic on this street during rush hour and the TTC? Ha....Beyond overcrowded and unreliable but same story all over the city.

And Sherbourne St simply can't handle it. There is so much traffic on this street during rush hour and the TTC? Ha....Beyond overcrowded and unreliable but same story all over the city.

I wouldn't equate more condos to more cars. People who live downtown, for the most part, walk to where they need to go. It's people who commute from downtown to places 5km+ that are clogging the roads. Halting downtown Toronto's growth isn't the key to shorter commute times. Getting these people to take transit like everyone else is. The other option is for these people to move into this condo. Not only will they not need to drive but it will be one less car on Sherbourne.

There are alternative ways to provide gas rather than the current derigueur North American style.

See this style in Rome, almost built into the street.

From the website Italy Explained

driving4-e1452204141491.jpg

That Italian gas station is interesting. That said we'll have to come up with something different here. Torontonians can barely drive forward safely. Asking them to drive backwards and on to a road is not a good idea.

I wouldn't equate more condos to more cars. People who live downtown, for the most part, walk to where they need to go. It's people who commute from downtown to places 5km+ that are clogging the roads. Halting downtown Toronto's growth isn't the key to shorter commute times. Getting these people to take transit like everyone else is. The other option is for these people to move into this condo. Not only will they not need to drive but it will be one less car on Sherbourne.

Remove the cars, add some more buildings, public transit would still be a massive problem. I sometimes have to take the Sherbourne bus. MIT is an absolute mess during rush hour. Keep building more condos but public transit is unable to meet the needs of the new residents and existing ones.

Back