Hamilton 325 James Street North | 45.7m | 12s | Core Urban Inc. | Lintack Architects

I was thrilled to see they're using actual hand-laid brick on the Augusta Block site. It says something about how pervasive and widespread cheap architectural habits are and how used we've gotten to them, that hand-laid brick is a rarity.
Hamilton seems to be leading the way with attractive, contextual ground level work these days. It makes a huge difference since most of our interaction with buildings is at the street.

Hamilton seems to be leading the way with attractive, contextual ground level work these days. It makes a huge difference since most of our interaction with buildings is at the street.

This is not the case for tall builds, unfortunately. Anything Vrancor touches, which is most of Hamilton, is garbage.

Welcome! Also very longtime SSP user but relatively new to here - the server issues on ssp caused many of us to migrate to here, that and the more up to date pictures

Core urban is our god lol.

Also, correction, anything core urban touches, or creates, is beautiful, and by a lesser extent Liuna.

We sadly have a slew of less than stellar builds we are not proud of going up - anything starting with vran or stin tend to be problematic lol..

This is not the case for tall builds, unfortunately. Anything Vrancor touches, which is most of Hamilton, is garbage.
True, I guess like anywhere there's the good and the bad. I must tend to block out the bad since my perception has been that I've been impressed by a number of projects in Hamilton lately.

Hell I'm impressed if they simply build things with arches instead of rectangles upon rectangles upon rectangles.. blockitecture.. what's the point of even being an architect if you can just plop boxes on top of each other..

Equilibrium between our handsome midrises and our godawful highrises is approaching fast. Cobalt is quite nice at ground level, and The Design District, while by no means architecturally spectacular, is certainly going to be of very high quality. Furthermore, Vranich hasn't touched anything on James st afaik. So we can say that where it really counts, the quality is there in Hamilton.

Equilibrium between our handsome midrises and our godawful highrises is approaching fast. Cobalt is quite nice at ground level, and The Design District, while by no means architecturally spectacular, is certainly going to be of very high quality. Furthermore, Vranich hasn't touched anything on James st afaik. So we can say that where it really counts, the quality is there in Hamilton.

Scraping for that silver lining eh lol..

I think liuna and core urban have the monopoly on james, which we are all fine with.. any other developers.. magically disappear.. and their projects.. never get built..

We're all just waiting for those magical missing teeth in the beautiful james st smile to get filled in.. only.. what.. 4 holes left? church, zellers, tivoli and robinsons I think off hand..

and maybe a few to be demolished - like the one by barton and james.. although frankly the one on the opposite corner can go for all I care too - it's falling apart as it is..

Steve from Core Urban posted on his Instagram that demolition is beginning on this property, and teasing that there is more residential and retail space coming to the property. No more details yet though.
I interpreted that post more just meaning that more retail/residential is coming to James because of this development, not that there is even more on top of what we know about.

Looks like they had a crane in this morning to remove the air cons off the roofs.

IMG_5749.JPG

Speaking of this building, seems there's a new permit for an addition to the existing building?

Screenshot_20231114-134016.png

Technically 325 James St is the separated building to the north, so perhaps they are planning to add to that and fix it up first before building the tower portion to the south?

I imagine so as it doesn't need Site Plan Approval. Do that while they process the site plan application for the new apartment building.

Sighs, another building with dormers bits the dust - it's not often a building gets demolished on james to build one - usually it collapses or burns down first and they build on the vacant lot.
I don't think that 3 level addition is for the building on the south side. That thing is being demolished.

Back