IMG_9499.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9327.jpg
    IMG_9327.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,478
  • IMG_9499.jpg
    IMG_9499.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,490
The issue isn't the general massing - it is the details: the use of materials, etc. A few additional floors would probably translate into a taller eyesore.

AoD

No, you are right.

I walked past 5ive this morning, off Yonge and I noticed the window treatment. Its quite amazing, (yet trite) to see the difference that a superior window or curtain wall can make in the final aesthetic result of a design. Buildings like 300 Front or Aura could and should have been so much better than they are, had they used better window and wall systems. I have to admit that I have not been impressed with Wallman recently (300 Front, Post House Condos) as compared to Hariri Pontarini (5ive, Ivory on Adelaide) and his poor use of window and wall systems as compared to what could be done.

No, you are right.

I walked past 5ive this morning, off Yonge and I noticed the window treatment. Its quite amazing, (yet trite) to see the difference that a superior window or curtain wall can make in the final aesthetic result of a design. Buildings like 300 Front or Aura could and should have been so much better than they are, had they used better window and wall systems. I have to admit that I have not been impressed with Wallman recently (300 Front, Post House Condos) as compared to Hariri Pontarini (5ive, Ivory on Adelaide) and his poor use of window and wall systems as compared to what could be done.

I find Wallman having a greater range of hits and misses (hits - Lumiere, Yorkville Condos) than H+P or aA in terms of consistency.

AoD

Though really isn't the worst of the lot, that honour goes to the Fly next door.

AoD

Which pushes the borders of hideous.

The odd think about 300 is when you are standing right in front of it, it isn't so terrible. But as you move away, the full sense of blandness sinks in.

The odd think about 300 is when you are standing right in front of it, it isn't so terrible. But as you move away, the full sense of blandness sinks in.

I'd be happy to take bland - this project just looks all over the place. It's gives me the feeling of someone buying mismatching parts and clobbering up something together.

AoD

I'd be happy to take bland - this project just looks all over the place. It's gives me the feeling of someone buying mismatching parts and clobbering up something together.

AoD

My take is that a limited set of the parts are far easier to take than the whole. I actually don't mind the smaller building, nor do I dislike the white spandrel. It's the mass of it all that fails for me.

Start praying for Ten York now.

Don't bother. I've already seen the model in their showroom and it resembles the way that 300 Front was made to look before construction began. You can't build a mostly-glazed tower, so any rendering that hides the spandrel is lying. We know exactly how Ten York is going to turn out.

Don't bother. I've already seen the model in their showroom and it resembles the way that 300 Front was made to look before construction began. You can't build a mostly-glazed tower, so any rendering that hides the spandrel is lying. We know exactly how Ten York is going to turn out.

Given that Ten York will (likely for the rest of our lifetimes) be one of the most prominent towers in Toronto's classic skyline vista from the islands, if they end up slapping up another 300 Front, that's nothing short of despicable.

Back