Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Hmm, not the best choice on balcony glass color. It woulda looked really good if they used the same dark blue color as on the south west corner of the building

Speaking of exploding glass I was putzing around downtown today and stopped by Front St. and I saw that the condo directly across the street from 300 had a bunch of balconies with no glass and a huge broken pane on one of the covers for the retail. There was also hoarding up and a guy working on one of the balconies in the morning.

Anyone know what's going on (or went on) with this?

Looking from the back

8257913284_0fdc00b5c2_b.jpg

Speaking of exploding glass I was putzing around downtown today and stopped by Front St. and I saw that the condo directly across the street from 300 had a bunch of balconies with no glass and a huge broken pane on one of the covers for the retail. There was also hoarding up and a guy working on one of the balconies in the morning.

Anyone know what's going on (or went on) with this?

Don't know about the broken window pane at the retail level.

My understanding with respect to the balcony problems at the Matrix Condominiums - across the road from the Tridel 300 Front Street West project: The balcony glass railings were not attached directly to the concrete balcony slabs, as is the general current practice. When the Matrix buildings were built, a sideways 'U' shaped metal cap was installed over the end of the balcony slab, and the balcony railing was mounted, attached to the top side of the metal cap. Over time, the cap loosened, and some actually fell off, taking the balcony railing with them. My understanding is the original developer, Concord Adex has now undertaken to replace the existing cap and railing assembly with new, more securely mounted glass balcony railings.

Some impressive little surprises in those details. I would have liked to see more distinctive cladding, but in the age where 49 floors is considered infill, it'll do. Also really liking the Festival Towerish balcony glass

The balcony glass made all the difference on this, they can't put it up fast enough

I actually tend to the reverse. While I think the glass does look lovely on the longer portions that follow the width of the taller building, the boxes on the smaller building look stupid to me. I dunno if the balconies didn't ruin that, but they sure didn't help.

Last edited:
I would have preferred to see the grey balcony glass on the dark side of the building, and black balcony glass on the lighter side.

Back