Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

friday:

IMG_0224.jpg

It certainly reminds me of LEGO pieces more than any other building to go up in the last boom, I think. And given that it was going for a sleek, modernist vibe, I'm not sure this "LEGO block" vibe is a good thing. Sigh.

It certainly reminds me of LEGO pieces more than any other building to go up in the last boom, I think. And given that it was going for a sleek, modernist vibe, I'm not sure this "LEGO block" vibe is a good thing. Sigh.

SP!RE, your comparisons to LEGO couldn't be more appropriate. There are parts of this building which are interesting, but as a whole it's a mish-mash of rather mediocre elements.

Okay, so this project ain't pretty, I get that, but the anti-spandrel (along with anti-precast) sentiment on this forum is verging on an obsessive compulsive disorder. Sometimes I feel like I should wash my hands 100 times, and touch my nose and the back of my head 20 times before writing anything here!

Okay, so this project ain't pretty, I get that, but the anti-spandrel (along with anti-precast) sentiment on this forum is verging on an obsessive compulsive disorder. Sometimes I feel like I should wash my hands 100 times, and touch my nose and the back of my head 20 times before writing anything here!

You're not the only one. There does seem to be a circular, self-reinforcing dynamic here on UT, where when a certain level of dislike (it's almost always dislike rather than appreciation) for some architectural style or material is reached, the entire active forum switches to that position, in a type of group-think. The irrational hatred of spandrel and even window-wall here is a perfect example.

Back