Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

I really wonder why they didn't buy the lot beside this and build a second shorter tower ... or maybe whomever owned it wasn't budging.
I'm sure the answer is likely buried somewhere here.

That would be a nice lot for the city to pick up and turn into a small park... 0% chance though.

from today
20110625109.jpg

20110625111.jpg

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_agenda_22jun11.pdf

To alter the redevelopment plan for the 49-storey residential condominium tower with a 13-storey building and
underground parking garage approved under Site Specific By-law 104-2010 by: constructing a five-storey wind
screen to sit atop the south end of the covered driveway located along the west side of the site; to increase the
width of mechanical room above the 13-storey building at the north side of the site; to increase the setbacks;
alter the location of the balconies for the 13-storey building; and to increase the height of the tower building.

REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
1. Section 3(2) & Map 2, By-law 104-2010
The maximum permitted height of the windscreen is 15 m.
The proposed height of the windscreen is 18.5 m.
2. Section 3(1) & Map 2, By-law 104-2010
The minimum required setback is 10.0 m from the south property line.
The proposed setback is 6.0 m from the south property line.
3. Section 3(1) & Map 2, By-law 104-2010
The minimum required setback is 21.9 m from the west property line and no portion of the building
shall be located outside of the delineated lines on Map 2.
The proposed setbacks from the northwest corner to the west property line will be 23.9 m and the
location of the balconies will fall outside the delineated lines on Map 2.
4. Section 3(1) & 3(2) & Map 2, By-law 104-2010
The maximum width of the mechanical room is 8.1 m.
The proposed width of the mechanical area on the north side of the building is 8.5 m.
5. Section (3)2 & 3(4)(a) & Map 2, By-law 104-2010
The maximum permitted height of the tower building is 156.0 m and no additional height for the parapet
is permitted.
The proposed height is 157.9 m to the top of the parapet of the tower building.

Wow, this is following in the footsteps of Murano and One Bedford as glacially slow moving major projects.

Every project on this board gets one "this is going so slow" post, while the garage is being constructed.

I've watched a few construction sites from the start and I can tell you, for the amount of workers on many of these construction sites, they manage to do A LOT of work. You really are at the mercy of waiting on the concrete. Setting up forms, waiting for the concrete to cure, then setting up forms again is time consuming. The underground parking is generally what takes a long time because the forming is not the same floor plate. Once you get above ground and start forming the floors, it gets faster. I think we should give these workers a lot of credit because there is a lot to a construction site. There is a lot of coordination with dump trucks, cement trucks, supply trucks etc that needs to happen as well.

Last edited:

Back