Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

4577838237_031e288752_b.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this project, but can they do it without blocking that "buffalo" billboard?

I apologize if this has been covered before, but how are they going to deal with the electrical transformer station?

Read 9 posts before yours.

I meant... Is the city intending to make this a subterranean station one day, or are there plans to build a facade around it the way there are in suburban neighbourhoods? Open to the sky, but four walls to disguise it from the street.

I meant... Is the city intending to make this a subterranean station one day, or are there plans to build a facade around it the way there are in suburban neighbourhoods? Open to the sky, but four walls to disguise it from the street.

Should we not just bury it or eliminate it and get over 3rd world mentality.

I don't think Toronto Hydro is planning anything soon to beautify their property

They chopped down the tree adjoining the the next parking lot and took down the billboard signing hanging over the property on Front street.

I''ve been a UT member for so bloody long but it stil leaves me in awe when other members throw out these 70 storey, 1000 footer mixed use towers as if they're on every corner. Maybe it's just the unbelievable times but, my passion started as a wee teen at the tail end of the last big building boom and I need not remind anyone what happened over the following decade.

The Front/Simcoe site isn't very wide (around 35 metres, similar to Trump). Without including the buildings to the east it would be tought from a setback and parking issue to build anything really tall.

The fetish for tall buildings ("oh, I hope they add another 10 stories on the 70 storey building") is amusing to watch, if only to see how many do not understand what makes a decent and livable city.

I''ve been a UT member for so bloody long but it still leaves me in awe when other members throw out these 70 storey, 1000 footer mixed use towers as if they're on every corner. Maybe it's just the unbelievable times but, my passion started as a wee teen at the tail end of the last big building boom and I need not remind anyone what happened over the following decade.

That's a lot of reactionary bluster for a very innocuous comment.

First of all, he didn't say or imply "1000 footer" at all. He said a 65-70 storey tower. In case you're not aware, there are currently 3 towers under construction in Toronto that are 65 storeys or higher. The site he's referring to is probably the biggest parking lot left so close to the CBD, so there's a very good chance that whatever eventually gets built there will have a substantial office component, and I'd be very surprised if whatever is eventually built isn't well over 200 metres.

Secondly, he didn't give any timeframe in which he expects the lot to be developed. He simply stated that it would be a good site for such a tower, presumably now or in the future. What does the end of current boom have to do with that?

The Front/Simcoe site isn't very wide (around 35 metres, similar to Trump). Without including the buildings to the east it would be tought from a setback and parking issue to build anything really tall.

That site is quite a bit larger than Trump's. It could very easily fit a massive tower.

The fetish for tall buildings ("oh, I hope they add another 10 stories on the 70 storey building") is amusing to watch, if only to see how many do not understand what makes a decent and livable city.

Fetish for tall buildings? Is preferring something around 250 metres on the 1 Bloor site a "fetish for tall buildings"? The lot he was talking about is just as viable a location for a major tower as 1 Bloor is, perhaps more given that it is so close to the CBD and other major towers. Were you pleased when they shortened Bay-Adelaide, or Trump, or 300 Front? Or perhaps you'd be happy if they just capped the height of all new developments in the city to 4 storeys? After all, nothing over 4 storeys adds to the livability of a city right? This hatred of tall buildings is amusing to watch, especially on a forum like this.

This hatred of tall buildings is amusing to watch, especially on a forum like this.

I see no evidence of "hatred of tall buildings" in any of the last few posts. If anything your apparent knee-jerk comment appears to be the one aimed at cutting off the conversation. Note that no one was demanding a shorter building.

Back