Toronto 290 Old Weston Road | 98.55m | 29s | i-Squared | TACT Architecture

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
From i2 Developments' Current Projects page:

This 1.71 acre midtown site is located on Old Weston Road, south of St. Clair Ave. West, in Toronto’s Junction neighbourhood, which many view as the city’s next big trendy place to live. A 12 storey condominium tower is planned, together with a limited edition of 26 townhomes with underground parking. Exceptional local amenities abound, including numerous retail, restaurant and entertainment options. It is conveniently close to the St. Clair Avenue Light Rail Transit, with rapid TTC access to the entirety of the GTA through the Yonge Street subway line. Also, a SmartTrack station is proposed just steps from the site along St. Clair Avenue West.

Link: http://i2developmentsinc.com/current-projects.html

Current site:
upload_2017-8-10_19-0-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-10_19-0-44.png
    upload_2017-8-10_19-0-44.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3,647
Found this blurry image on the link posted two posts back:
290oldwestonrd.PNG

It gives a better idea of how the site will be broken up.

Attachments

• 290oldwestonrd.PNG
    290oldwestonrd.PNG
    485.1 KB · Views: 2,216
Old Weston Road really needs the investment. The existing built form from Davenport to St. Clair is generally ugly and looks inappropriate for a major street. One factor is that the toxic emissions from the National Rubber Technologies plant makes the area less attractive for development. That plant may provide employment, but it limits investment in the area. No one wants to build factories in the area anymore.

Hmmm once upon a time this whole area was major industrial. Considering the city wants to keep employment lands not turn them into condos it seems your opinion here is a bit backwards.

Personally I like Old Weston road. I think the old workers cottage rowhouses are historically significant to the area and provide needed cheap housing stock for people that is also very dense. This development would be basically hidden from the street, and would have little to no impact on the streetscape.

Hmmm once upon a time this whole area was major industrial. Considering the city wants to keep employment lands not turn them into condos it seems your opinion here is a bit backwards.

I disagree. Land use patterns have changed significantly since the time that National Rubber Technology's factory was built in the late 19th century. Industrial users want locations next to highways and major shipping ports, not railway junctions like 100 years ago. It would be unacceptable to build a factory like that one literally next to residential houses today on account of pollution and noise concerns. Even in an era with renewed respect for mixed-use communities, the plant is an anachronism.

The city has done little to make the area more attractive for the traditional industrial uses like building more highways, widening city roads, restricting and eliminating residential uses, upgrading utilities, and encouraging big land assemblies for large modern factories and warehouses. The city hasn't even repaved many of the local side streets in decades. I bet that most people wouldn't even want to see more highways and truck-oriented roads cut through the city so close to downtown. At best, it would be extremely controversial in the post-Spadina Expressway political reality of transportation planning. This area isn't very attractive for modern large-scale industry and warehouse uses. To insist on that is backwards.

To make it attractive for anything beyond big box retail requires investment in rapid transit to get some office space built, as well as a better public realm to increase the area's attractiveness to customers. It should be a place where a craft brewer and a coffee bean roasting company can operate in a converted old factory next to an internet startup in a office building and a small cheese company and boutique meatpacker, but also a place where a young person or immigrant can buy an affordable condo or townhouse. To large extent, it's already that way. And that's a good thing. What I want to see is for the heavy industry to relocate to modern industrial areas and be replaced with a mix of commercial and residential uses like what happened in the King West area, Niagara, and Liberty Village. A lot of people work in those areas and they're also thriving neighbourhoods now. They were once dusty and dilapidated districts when they became unattractive for heavy industry and warehouse uses. But we didn't insist on keeping them that way.

The status quo is an area with more vacant lots and empty space than what you generally see in the city, with roads that are in bad shape, no rapid transit, and unattractive parks. It could be so much better than it is today, but it takes a realistic appraisal of what's possible, rather than believing that heavy industry will just appear one day at this location for thousands of jobs. It's not going to happen. Nor is there much political support for the kinds of investments needed to make it happen. It's better to transition to a different kind of planning to encourage land uses that provide employment--a mixed use model without noxious industries.

290 OLD WESTON RD
Ward 09 - Tor & E.York District

Development Applications

Proposal for a 29-storey mixed-use building, with a 23-storey tower element atop a 6-storey podium. This redevelopment would result in a total gross floor area of 23,509 square metres, including 4,643 square metres of employment office space and 277 residential units, resulting in a total floor space index of 3.4 times the area of the lot.

Curious to watch this unfurl as more details get released. 29 storeys here is on the more aggressive side, but the site does go quite deep on the interior. And something of this scale would certainly act as a boon to further revitalizing the area. Good to see a fair amount of employment space being planned.

The lot in question, as Google says it was in May 2019.

Note that the Old Weston Road is off to the left of this shot (east), and the railway corridor is to the right (west).

The picture is taken from the parking lot of a gaming/bingo place next door at 296 Old Weston Rd.

1595080695031.png

Curiously, over on ToMaps, I see that 290 doesn't actually occupy the entire lot, it shares it with 294, I assume these are being parceled together.

This is a curious height to see behind SFH fronting the road.

1595081088966.png

Last edited:
29 Stories is far too aggressive here, and it would easily tower over everything in the area by miles.

Doesnt help that the traffic flow in the area is a complete mess as well.

It's too bad the rebuilding of the Old Weston Road bridge over the Diamon isn't considered. It would probably help rationalize some traffic flow in a complicated part of town.

Maybe there's someone in the MTO dungeons working on the 400 south extension? From link. Wouldn't the extension replace the Old Weston Road bridge? Thankfully it didn't happen. Then again...

aaefab614a726861c23802c74a9b5dd7

6fe56fb206618a8d25ca7c4415d0c824

09a7b33f3f217001efe37e3c5eae4ee6

16f2926dcb3615d08b1969093bae207c

9846cbc5179d5416d122b55a7cc0eb7f

Back