Toronto 2810 Bayview | 138.33m | 42s | Osmington Gerofsky | Wallman Architects

But where would you say a crossing should go of the 401? And would it be a multiuse trail or include vehicle traffic?
The southern terminuses of Bessarion Road and Willowdale Ave seem like good mid points between interchanges that would also increase the walk in radius of the one existing and one potential stations.
I think the tough sell is that unless there is mass rezoning/restructuring south of the 401, those areas will likely remain low-density and will jealously defend their from their enclaves being transformed into throughfares, be it trails or roads.

That being said, in tangem with rezoning the last few homes west of Concord Park Place, I could see a potential pedestrian connection crossing the 401 and linking up to Silvergrove Road behind the Armenian church. The terrain there is challenging, but it's precisely because of that that it's marginal land and more easily acceptable as a landing for a connection.

In terms of a road, connecting Bessarion makes sense, but I would imagine it would involve a larger redesign of a new continuous Bessarion from Bayview to Leslie.

Last edited:
I'm sure this is far beyond what the city has the bandwidth to plan for at the moment, but what are your thoughts on the further subdividing of the suburban 'blocks' made up by the old concession roads? I've talked it out with friends in the past to mixed reception.
I think a lot of this could be the northern extension of existing roads that simply dwindle out at various barriers, such as Avenue and Spadina. But seems like a finer grain street grid will be needed to sustain the spike in population soon to hit these neighborhoods.
View attachment 586279

I broadly endorse the idea, I strongly favour, where practical, bringing the grid to 1km apart for all arterials both E-W and N-S.

That said, some roads are discontinuous for a good reason, if you look at number/size of valley crossings that Avenue Road would face, it doesn't make a lot of practical sense to connect it north.

Woodbine is discontinous because the DVP occupies a good chunk of its natural alignment, too much of which is in valleys/floodplains meaning it would not be useful, as aligned for an arterial.

That said, there are a number of spots, small and large that make some sense.

Some, like Willowdale/Bessarion are hard/costly relative to return (in the case of the former, if you were being fantastical if sensible, you would link it to Mt. Pleasant. But when you look not only at the direct cost of doing that, but also the add-on costs to allow for development that would help pay that off, it just doesn't seem like a logical priority.

Others make more sense to me. Those already planned including linking Bellamy across the 401, for instance.

While others seem fairly easy, Pharmacy across the 401, or extending Bermondsey/Sloane cleanly to Lawrence, and possibly south to St. Clair.

In the east end, roughly following Surrey to create an E-W road between Eglinton and Lawrence, at least from VP to Kennedy (then you have the GO Corridor to get across), but possible do that and go east as well etc etc.

As part of that exercise, I would generally want to downsize six-lane arterials to 4 lanes to make them more human-scaled.

For all of that.......I don't think the City is there except for the easiest, shortest linkages. The time to build multi-km new major roads was 3 decades ago when the land was cheaper or even not fully developed. Doing it now is cost prohibitive and rather disruptive.

But I'd love to see some coherent thought around doing just a few of these and making sure you pick the ones that most alleviate congestion, that most facilitate development, that most shorten transit commutes etc.

Last edited:
Neither would I.

Ideally it would allow for cars, in order to relieve the mess that is Bayview at 401, we're not going to shift the interchange traffic away from that location, but if it can shift local traffic that would be helpful.

However, allowing for cars is no small matter as one has to have a receiving road on the south side that is appropriate to the volume.

Both potential roads from the north meet residential, winding side streets on the south side. These would have to upgraded as far south as York Mills, and through some rather well-heeled, pricey real estate areas.

Its a challenge.

If you went pedestrian/cycling only I'm not sure the usage potential is there for what would be a very long crossing, either as a tunnel or if elevated, likely come with long switch-back ramps at both ends.

Willowdale is further complicated by a buried creek in the area, meaning supports have to go around this and preserve appropriate maintenance access. (Glendora Park is over the creek)

This is why we need to properly plan and model out different choices about what modal splits can be realistically achieved, at what cost, and whose paying.
It would be great for the 115 Silver Hills bus to go under the 401 to Bessarion station.

I still am curious how the city will treat the 12.5m setback from tower to the neighbourhoods. They haven't compromised on this for years - unless something changed in the last few weeks.

The only other relevant cases I can think of include 1366 Yonge and 2475 Dundas - where less than 20m is proposed (ie 2475), or less then 20m has been accepted by the city (ie 1366) where they split the land use designations on the fire station into two

Missing from this discussion is the concept of using tolls for municipal infrastructure.

Back