Toronto 237 Victoria | 79m | 24s | Spire Properties | Arcadis

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
An application for this surface parking lot on Victoria Street, just south the Senator restaurant, and 1/2 a block south of Dundas Street east has been filed.

1663312582527.png

Site, as it is today:

1663312840295.png

* Docs are Up *

While, I suspect, hospital helicopter flight paths may explain the proposed height, I'm not sure anything can explain (or excuse) this design from IBI:

1663312707562.png

1663313152664.png

1663313210728.png

1663313277171.png

1663313318908.png

1663313049836.png

West Elevation

1663313091755.png

Not directly related to this building, but in the Planning Report discussion of context, we find a regrettable reminder of what may happen on the north edge of Metropolitan United:

1663313588905.png

That space should 100% be acquired by the City, being between 2 large heritage churches, it represent a key public space opportunity. -- Now back to the proposal at hand.

1663313961588.png

Finally, we come back to that Helicopter Path issue..........the Planning Report confirms that is the indeed the height limiting factor, the roofline of this building is proposed at 1.5M below the height restriction.

That almost certainly means this one will have to be finished without a high-mast crane in place.

Nice, as usual I'm thrilled to see another awful parking lot disappear. Design wise, it seems they've taken some inspiration from the HNR building across the street? Mind you, if they cheap out on materials, this will look terrible.

By the way, the Senator is open again after a couple of years of closure.

Nice, as usual I'm thrilled to see another awful parking lot disappear.

Yes.

Design wise, it seems they've taken some inspiration from the HNR building across the street? Mind you, if they cheap out on materials, this will look terrible.

I'm not really liking the 'yellow' and black.......... I don't know that I would like it in any other colour, the design is just not really working for me.

Last edited:
I'm not really liking the 'yellow' and black.......... I don't know that I would like it in any other colour, the design is just not really working for me.
The material legend says gold metal panels (and renders do lean to gold)... black and gold is simply the classiest colour combination there is... full stop.

My baseball uniform was black and gold and we not only won the fashion wars (those guys in lime green were plain embarrassed), we won the all-Ontario championship.

So sorry for the corrective. I respect 99% of your aesthetic comments, but black and gold rock. 🙃

Now I don't think for a minute that Madison will serve up the b+g combo properly for Alias.

The material legend says gold metal panels (and renders do lean to gold)... black and gold is simply the classiest colour combination there is... full stop.

My baseball uniform was black and gold and we not only won the fashion wars (those guys in lime green were plain embarrassed), we won the all-Ontario championship.

So sorry for the corrective. I respect 99% of your aesthetic comments, but black and gold rock. 🙃

Now I don't think for a minute that Madison will serve up the b+g combo properly for Alias.

Perfectly fine (indeed good) to have varying opinions on such things).

But, do you get gold out of those renders?

Looks more like baby spit up to me.............. LOL

Like I said they lean to gold ... a couple angles seem more yellow.

But IBI says gold metal panels.. and they would never lie. :)

P.S. please note my enthusiastic support for your Scotia Plaza red suggestion for 45 St. Clair W... so don't drop me from your Xmas card list.

Last edited:
yess , another parking lot gone , .. referring[ as one did in this thread] to the p. lot at 51 bond behind MET. UNITED ,
needs to be another afordabable condo tower for seniors[the original idea] , from 20 years ago ,.

Like I said they lean to gold ... a couple angles seem more yellow.

But IBI says gold metal panels.. and they would never lie. :)

P.S. please note my enthusiastic support for your Scotia Plaza red suggestion for 45 St. Clair W... so don't drop me from your Xmas card list.

Ha! Such faith in IBI should never be expressed in jest! :p

yess , another parking lot gone , .. referring[ as one did in this thread] to the p. lot at 51 bond behind MET. UNITED ,
needs to be another afordabable condo tower for seniors[the original idea] , from 20 years ago ,.

The site behind Met. United should 100% be parkland. It's one of the most logical sites in all of downtown. It would honour heritage, protect key views, serve a tourist area; and provide green space in one of the areas most short of it in the City.

We desperately need additional affordable housing, but that's just not the right spot.

the residents in the immediate area , and intersection[shuter and church] , dont want another area for possible encampments , they want their fellow citizens housed.

The colour will be stripped out in due order, we're in Toronto after all. We're allergic to it for whatever idiotic reason.

Nevertheless, this proposal isnt half bad. At least the precast brick extends to the tower portion unlike most builds these days.

the residents in the immediate area , and intersection[shuter and church] , dont want another area for possible encampments , they want their fellow citizens housed.

A 36 storey condo is not going to house a single homeless person in the area; if you apply inclusionary zoning, maybe it will house a dozen, but that depends on the affordability definition.

I think we need to show nuanced understanding.

This is a site which is height limited by the Hospital Helicopter flight path. (I could swear it was lower than 36s discussed in the report, but I digress)

PS, if you put it to a vote in the area, including shelters and public housing, I'll bet you good money it would lose.

It's incredibly important to know that we need more housing; and more affordable housing; but we also need quality of life measures, like parks, and beautiful places, and recreation centres and libraries and schools.

No one thing can exist to the exclusion of all the others.

Reactions: DSC

Back